Rolling Thunder Forums

Deep Core Surveyor

Prospective

Or you deep core surveyor came up in the middle of your Antarctica and found a Jungle full of mutants and dinosaurs.  :D  Did the DCS-1 find Meat next?  :P

------------

In all seriousness, random is random, in SN:ROTE.  How else can you have a Terrestrial planet with a Vacuum atmosphere?  :blink:

-SK  :blink:

Actually i've always imagined Terrestrials with Vacuum atmospheres were former Tc'kon worlds that died in the cataclysm which destroyed the empire itself, even gone as far as concentrating my EXPL's on them just incase there are some coded secrets around them.

• 7 months later...

I built a Deep Core Surveyor this turn and enough power plants to have an extra 100,000 power. This turn I saw zero effect and the power shows as "excess".:

Excess Power = 107,486 in Population Group # 7088

Is this normal? Do you receive any notice of the DCS increasing a resource yield or do you have to do a GEO on the planet every turn to see if there was a change (that would suck)? Does the DCS sometimes do nothing and if so is there any report either way?

Does the DCS power always show as "excess"?

You only get a report of the DCS working when it finds a new deposit.  Then you have to do a GEO to find out what the gain was.  I am not sure that it actually uses power if it doesn't find anything, but I have always had plenty to spare so it hasn't mattered to me much.

:cheers:

Well I built 12 of them this turn and saw no hits and 1.3 million excess power... I suspect the bug is still there.

You only get a report of the DCS working when it finds a new deposit.   Then you have to do a GEO to find out what the gain was.  I am not sure that it actually uses power if it doesn't find anything, but I have always had plenty to spare so it hasn't mattered to me much.

:cheers:

Well I built 12 of them this turn and saw no hits and 1.3 million excess power... I suspect the bug is still there.

I have not encountered this bug. From one of my younger races out there, they only had one DCS till now, and I would see this on the turn

1 Deep Core Surveyor was able to operate on xxxx

A Deep Core Surveyor has failed to discover any new resources on xxxx

Excess Power = 4,262 in Population Group # yyyyyy

If it was not using power I would have expected to see 104,262 usage.

Just last turn on this race I built a second DCS and power units (11 of them), along with various mines for increases in yield (using more power) and saw this

2 Deep Core Surveyors were able to operate on xxxxxx

A Deep Core Surveyor has discovered a new source of Water on xxxxxx, raising its yield!

A Deep Core Surveyor has discovered a new source of Iron on xxxxxx, raising its yield!

Excess Power = 12,987 in Population Group # yyyyy

It appears to be working fine to me. You didn't see anything similar on yours? Did the builds of the DCS's work (using Advanced CM)?