Rolling Thunder Forums

OT: Civ 4

Clan Elder 'Keen

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any more feedback on CIV IV?

Only that it is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back regarding moving up from Pentium III to dual IV's......

Octus

(ALWAYS looking for an excuse to move it on up.)

If you want PC performance, AMD is the current leader.

Only that it is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back regarding moving up from Pentium III to dual IV's......

Octus

Octus, in what way is your system running slow? RAM and/or a video card may be two possible upgrades that could save you some money. On the other hand if you are looking for an excuse to buy the dual P IV, then this could be the reason. :beer:

I'm running an AMD 1600+ with a gig of ram and a pretty good graphics card.  Should that be enough to run it?

Here are the min and recommended specs from the Website.

You need to be running Windows 2000 or XP, a 1.2 GHz processor min (1.8 GHz recommended), 256 M Ram in Win 2k (512 min for XP), a DirectX 9.0 64 M Video card (128 M recommended) Geforce 2 or Radeon 7500 video card or better and a 4x CDROM.

Civ has been responsible for a lot of my hardware upgrades over the years. In this case I built a new machine first and then found Civ 4 was out (thanks to this thread!).

The Civ 4 site gives a list of minimum and recommended requirements. I would go with recommended as a minimum. I'm running an AMD64 3800+, 1 GB RAM, and a 128MB PCIe graphics card. I have all of the Civ 4 features turned on, but even stripped down to minimal settings it maxes my CPU out at 100%. I have no idea what it must be doing behind the scenes, but it will work your chip hard. My guess is you don't need a top of the line system to run the game quite well, even with max settings, but it sure will use up whatever capacity you do have.

Anyone playing EVE, the online MMRPG?  I started 2 days ago and am enjoying it.  Something to do when working on my SN turns.

I played EvE back at release, took a break and then came back for a while longer before going back to the only MMO I'll be playing for a while: Dark Age of Camelot. MMO's are huge timesinks, and I can only find so much time. :beer:

I know of at least three other SN players that play EvE. EvE is one of the more complex and challenging MMOs out there, if not THE most complex, IMHO. The graphics and soundtrack are really amazing too.

MoO? by chance? :beer:

The other SNROTE players I know who play are Ed (Phasedragon), Mike (Kahless) and Norm Fraley. I know for certain that Ed and Mike still play who mentioned they bumped into Norm at some point. These guys sometimes hangout in the SNROTE channel. Mikes character is Kahless Stovoker and I've forgotten how to spell Ed's. Something like Crilix....ack itll come back to me.

My bro plays too (a little less now I think -- his toon is Forgo) and he made a boatload of ISK bookmarking things and selling them to corps.

The tried-and-true method to a good start is to mine, mine and mine. Your BESt bet is to find a corporation who may even help you with the starting isk for your first few ships.

I would also run Agent Missions until you start to gain access to level 3. this will intorduce you to the nuances of the market and immerse you into the backstory.

BTW those most wanted posters on the floating warp points are legit -- those are other people's character up there LOL Although some people artifically infalte bounties on their heads from time to time.

Regardless, stay in newb space where Concord can protect you from the many many pirates out there.

Lastly, www.eve-online.com forums are a great source for starting players.

Good luck! :cheers:

Octus

Octus, in what way is your system running slow? RAM and/or a video card may be two possible upgrades that could save you some money. On the other hand if you are looking for an excuse to buy the dual P IV, then this could be the reason. :cheers:

Well, could not even get Civ4 up and running with PIII chips, which is below the minimum for the game. However, you hit the nail on this head. ANY excuse for a new box! :beer:

Octus

B) Had the under spec problems as well. #3 son brought a new video card in and it perked up. It ran on the old card but hung up on wonder movies and crashed. With the new card it plays them OK, but still occasionally crashes. It is still pretty neat, but I do hope patches are comming. I got mine at Best Buy after Walmart said it would not have any for a week. I actually read (most) of the manual before I fired it up. I tried but I could not wait.... :oops: