Rolling Thunder Forums

Digital Maps

mac3mason

Greetings to all Victory Players,

I have made digital copies of all the Victory maps. If this is something the rest of you would care to have, let me know what you think would be the best way to make this available..

The main Victory map is large at 72.9 mb in a bitmap format. Russ will post a sample map of a few of the countries together. The sample is a map of Switzerland, Austria, Hungary and Czechoslavkia (1.92mb and the zip version is 171k) -- the quality is good and it can be opened with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, any photoshop software, and Windows Paint.. There might be other software that can open the file but Im not sure.

I am looking for some answers to these questions:

Is anyone interested in having digital maps?

Do you want them in color?

Do you want one large map?

Do you want several maps like the example map?

Any other viable suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for your time,,

Micheal

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Al Presidente

Brilliant Dude! :D

a large map would be great

but I do see the need for the smaller the only problem is each country would require a differnt view :angry:

Michael,

I think it would be great to have the large map in digital format.

I already scanned all the sectional maps, but they don't realy fit together. From the weather maps, I have been able to get the interesting part of the map, but it was a lot of work to get all the province data in.

I am interested in the whole map in digital format.

I don't think it is nessesary to have the map in color, but coloring of the restricted seazone help a lot in defining the coastal regions.

I want the large map. You can always make copies of an interesting section of the map and make a hard copy on paper.

Maybe some secuential zipfiles would be handy, to make the download time shorter as you can download several smaller files.

Norbert

The main Victory map is large at 72.9 mb in a bitmap format. Russ will post a sample map of a few of the countries together. The sample is a map of Switzerland, Austria, Hungary and Czechoslavkia (1.92mb and the zip version is 171k) -- the quality is good and it can be opened with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, any photoshop software, and Windows Paint.. There might be other software that can open the file but Im not sure.

Here is the example that you sent me Michael :D

VictoryMapExample.zip

Hello!

I have scanned the map too. But I think the total maps memory size is to large. Due to that I have started to convert the map to a vector graphic format. The problem is that I have to put all the names into the map. It would be nice if some of you would help to do that. The long raange aim is that we develop a interactive map program displaying all game parametersand maybe generating oders by moving some icons.

If you are interested send an email to: Michae.Burchard@rub.de

;) I forgot... I am using Corel Draw.... so I would like to do the project in a cdr or emf graphic format.

Michael

I have scanned the map too. But I think the total maps memory size is to large. Due to that I have started to convert the map to a vector graphic format. The problem is that I have to put all the names into the map. It would be nice if some of you would help to do that. The long raange aim is that we develop a interactive map program displaying all game parametersand maybe generating oders by moving some icons.

If you are interested send an email to: Michae.Burchard@rub.de

:thumbsup: I forgot... I am using Corel Draw.... so I would like to do the project in a cdr or emf graphic format.

Michael

I've assisted Michael a bit with his project as well and anything I can do to assist guys...just let me know.

I'd like to see a nice digital map for Victory! so bad it makes my teeth ache :lol: but my skills are not really all that great in that particular area ;)

My plans are to use the same basic Victory! map for Victory! II so this is a project both for the present and the future.

Russ

Hi Michael.

Excellent image of the map. Just what I asked it in the first place.

Can we share maybe what you got per email?

To me; one large map isn't relevant.

During game play I am 99% only focused on the relevant surrounding area.

Thanks!

Marc

M.lammers9@chello.nl

All,

Personally, I would not mind having one large map, but I can see the problem if you have a 56k6 connection. It should be possible to make the image a bit smaller than 70 Mb though, shouldn't it? Try saving it with less colors, or even b&w. If that still doesn't work I would suggest cutting the map into smaller pieces that fit together nicely, and let everyone download the pieces he (or she? ;) ) needs.

Russ, is there a limit on what you can publish on this board?

Hamish

Russ, is there a limit on what you can publish on this board?

There is - about 50Mb or so. The forums and our website are hosted in different locations so there is also a potential bandwidth question for me to consider.

No matter though - whatever the file size may be, I'll evaluate the situation and either post it here or on our website (with a link here). Whichever works out best.

Russ

Here's my two cents worth. The size of the file is a limitation problem for download and hosting. We players can use programs to manipulate it. We can edit it down to a relevant size to print and use. It's a great idea and looks great from the sample

Bitmaps are not the most efficient way to store images. The original file was over a meg, and simply saving it as a jpeg reduced it to 700k, and as a gif down to 118k. And as mentioned, black and white is smaller file size than RGB color.

Better than a scan of course is a vector format. The best way that I can think of doing a map project like this is to scan in the pieces and do a vector overlay. I personally would use Autocad, a drafting software package. Then add the names and icons. Lots of manual work.

I'm a Supernova player who stumbled in here, otherwise I would definately volunteer to assist with your project.