Rolling Thunder Forums

Digital Maps

mac3mason

I tried saving it as a JPEG file, and it does get smaller than a BMP. But compressing JPEG files (WinZip or Windows XP compression) only reduces their size by about 10%, whereas the size of BMPs get reduced by 70-90% in my experience. GIF is smaller still, but does not compress at all.

Michael, can you try saving the map as monochrome bitmap and compress it, and save it as GIF, see what's smaller?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Victory Players,

Here is what I have found with the Main Victory Map and the different file formats:

Tiff - 146Mb (hard to edit)

Bitmap - 72.9mb (easy to edit in Paint)

Jpeg - 15.9MB (fair editing)

Giff - 2.9mb (does not compress well, difficult to edit)

Png - 2.45mb (compresses easily, edits well in Paint, probably in other software as well)

How many can open a png file extension?

I have not been able to reduce the viewing size , once it is opened. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Micheal

Viewing size?

It would depend on the program used to view it. You could change the resolution of the image?

What dpi did you scan it in at? It all depends on what you are trying to view and how big the orig piece is.

Let me know the details of the scanned image and what part you are trying to view.

DezertCamel :rolleyes:

Excellent!! I downloaded the sample and pulled it up under Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Came in clear as a bell. Can zoom in or out. Also, if all the maps were scanned such, I could just hit the "next picture" button and go to the next map, etc.

are the other areas scanned? what about the big map? If so, where can I download them at?

Tim :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello Victory Players,

I have managed to reduce the main Victory map to 2.85 mb in size in a PNG format.. to make it this size, I have edited some of the map , removing the terrain chart, weather effects chart, and the unused desert provinces.

How many can open PNG?

What is your operating system?

What type of connection do you have, broadband, dialup, ect.?

I have also made some smaller maps and can convert them to PNG as well.

Micheal

Hello Michael,

I have WindowsXP :) as my operating system and I have a broadband internet connection.

I do not know the png format. With what program can you open this format? Is it available from the internet?

Do you still have a copy with the terrain on the map? I think it is interesting to have this info also on the map. How big is the map with the terrain info?

Norbert

• 2 weeks later...
Russ,

2.45 MB isn't too bad is it? Can you put it on the RTG web-site?

The file size isn't a big problem on this end - keeping the size down so non-broadband folks can download it is probably a bigger consideration.

I know the guys involved have been working on the project but it is a spare-time project so we'll get it up and available to folks when we can. :beer:

Russ

Hi Fellas,

I'm no graphics expert but I do know a little. Bmp and Jpeg are going to be the most univerally acceptable to people. The sizes will get large for well done maps, but it is worth it!!! Another option for those who aren't interested in editing the maps are Pdf. I've take my digital camera and with one country the Psd (Photoshop) file is 186kb after converting the jpeg, but the Pdf (Acrobat) size is 19kb.

I just took the example SwitzAusHungaryCzech.bmp file from 1,655 kb to a 174 Kb Pdf file so that may be an answer. Remember, this option will not allow editing.

What I haven't seen anyone discuss is the option of having the maps placed on Cd and shipped. That would solve the download time for those who don't have very good speeds. Personally I have a T1 and can download quite a bit rather fast, but haven't forgotten about my modem days!

If I can be of any assistance with this project let me know and I'll do what I can.

Brad