Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonization of planets

Emporer Magara

After reading the Inst blurb for domed cities Im unclear as to how good they are or just to what extent they proviced protection to colonist.

Domed Cities: Domed cities provide safe, and affordable housing for your your colonist, with the added benefit of being sealed from the harsh atmospheric conditions. Its much more dificult for alien flora and fauna to invade a domed city than open encampments, reducing colonial attrition as result.

1) Do they act like a better city providing housing and protection or

2) protect you for the atmosphere of a planet. A total protection an enclosed enviorment? In this case then can they do they work in vacuums?

underwater?

They reduce the negative impact of atmospheric differences between your homeworld and the colony world. The do nothing for other items like temperature, ocean, gravity, and the like .. at least nothing I've noticed or that is measurable on my before and after CSV's.

As an example, I had two worlds, both listed as extremely high attrition by CSV's. On one it appears the reason was a mix of atmosphere and gravity. On the other it was mostly atmosphere (heck, even had a small bonus for terrain!). I placed Domed cities on each, and did CSV's. The one that was mostly atmosphere dropped down to a Low attrition all the way from Extremely High. The other dropped to a moderate level only (still no good for colonization). In both cases the impact seemed to be only Atmosphere related.

Fluid Conversion Plants improve Ocean differences, Domed Cities improve Atmosphere, and Colonial Training Centers give a bonus to lifeform. Pick the right world and even the worst conditions can be drastically improved.

Magara,

In order for something to work Underwater you must complete Aquatic Installation Construction technology research.

Domed City is kind of a misnomer. It is more like a City Dome. You can also "stack" it with a regular City, giving your colonists the Atmospheric bonus of the Domed City and the "generic" colonization bonus of the standard City.

Functionally speaking, a Domed City does not provide an alternative atmosphere for your colonists, it just mitigates the affects of attrition due to atmosphere differences.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. But i wounder just how much they mitigate atmosphere. Im mean if you used them on a vacuum would you be sending your colonist to their deaths?

This is just the sort of thing i am finding very frustrating about this game. No exacte rules spelled out so you know just what works when and where.

Makes for a steep learning curve with a lot of wasted orders. ;)

Emporer Magara

Domed cities work great on vacuum worlds. My attrition went from moderate to ideal on a vacuum world after building domed cities.

BTW - getting the advance for aquatic or subterranean installations doesn't give you the ability to build anything. You get a small bonus for getting the advance and you open the door to future installations. I have seen a subterranean city on a neutral so they are out there.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Untrue Hobknob, if you have Aquatic or Subterranean Installation Construction your planetary fortifications can be built as a Subterranean or Aquatic Fortress, insted of a Surface Fortress. However, you are correct that it doesn't open the door for Subterranean City or Aqua Dome, so for colonization purposes all you get is the small "general" colonization bonus. B)

Magara,

I share your frustration with the vague nature of the rules. The only way I've found to determine how much Domed Cities do for you is to conduct two CSV missions. The first mission being your basic "Can my people colonize this world?" run, which will give you all of those nice status bars deliniated which planetary differences are causing the majority of the attrition (e.g. Atmosphere, Gravity, Ocean). If the Atmosphere bar is long, the world is probably a good candidate for a Domed City. After you build your Domed City, do your second CSV Order and note the changes between the two CSVs. B)

Personally, I would like it to be an automatic function of the program to have it spit out a CSV-type result at the end of the orders section for all my colonies. I think it would fall as request #337 on Pete's "to-do" list. :lol: Although a TAC-like order for Colonies would be cool, too.