Rolling Thunder Forums

Colonization of planets

Emporer Magara

While you will not be prevented from landing troops on any planet, your troops will suffer in the form of degraded performance due to atrition factors. The further away the world is form something you like the more penalties you will have to deal with. The solution of course is to drop more troops on worlds that are really hostile to your lifeform to compensate for decreased performance of the troops. :)

I tried building both Aquatic and Subterranean fortresses with the technology but got two orbital forts instead!? This was ages ago and reported to Pete but never got an reply to what was the problem.

Cheers

/Locklyn

You ordered an Aquatic and Subterranian installation, and got orbital forts? Simple answer .. like any goverment sponsered building programs, things simply spun out of control as all the different politico's needs were meet. If you look closely, the one station is shaped like a giant fish bowl and filled with water .. and the other looks like a giant ant colony. So the designs were only tweaked just a little...

• 2 weeks later...

Starting at the beginning, I just want to know what it takes to build Domed Cities. I have learned you need 2nd gen. Civil Eng + Imp. CM. So, I assume you need Imp. CM, but how much?

Ā 

Also, Fuel Distillation Complexes, I have the same issue. How much do they cost to build? When you gain these installations, the game doesn't tell you how much it takes to build them. Very frustrating.

Ā 

My dying colonist at my asteroid belts thank you.

I sent RTG Pete an email asking several similar questions about other installations. In the response, Pete wrote that he has been working on code that will add a free INST order to the turns (you would get an automatic INST on the turn you discover the installation, just like Research ANZ's). He has also been working to add to the INST order a PreRequsites line, so you know what led to the discovery (since everyone who discovers an installation keeps writing him asking, What Gave me this ... this would cut down on all the emails). I think we all would love to see this in place.

While it would be nice for somebody to have the exact formula for improved this or that installation, the unknown is nicer. You get the installation when you get it and that's that. I am very much in favor of the auto INST when you get a new installation, but seeing as how some installations could be very powerful I am not at all liking the idea of a prerrequisite path being spelled out for them on an INST.

Ā 

:beer:

Well, the same could be said for techs. Some are very powerful. Since when you analyze a tech, it tells you the prereqs, it makes sense to have exactly the same for installations. It's bad enough that you do not even know if you are getting close on an installation and it merely POPS up on the turn sheet. But not being able to tell what allowed the installation so you can share with your allies does not make sense.

Ā 

Peon: Sire, we now know how to build Improved Stripmines

King: Fantastic! I didn't even know our scientists were researching them. Tell me, what did they have to uncover to develop this new installation?

Peon: Sire, we do not know. The plans for the I.S. merely appeared one morning on the overseers desk.

Ā 

If you want to keep this hidden because it might be something powerful then, following your logic, all the prereqs on all the tech should be hidden.

I agree with knowing what got you something. Both for Techs and for Installations. If you learn to build something, you should know what led to that discovery. Also, especially for the Installations, you should get a listing with what it actually takes to build it. Realizing that I can now build a Global Air Purifier is nice, but not knowing what it does or how much it costs to build when I learn that is a pain. If Pete can add something similar to the free ANZ for the Installations when you get them, that would be great.

Yea, the only way it could be more annoying is if (when) we get techs that by their name don't even give us a clue:

Ā 

Peon: Sire, we have just discovered Burrelium Generators!!

Ā 

King: Fantastic, good work! Ummm, what's a Burrelium Generator?

Ā 

Peon: Well, we're not sure. We postulate they make Burrelium.....

Ā 

King: Ah. Umm, what's Burrelium?

Ā 

Peon: Um, we don't know that either Sire.

Ā 

King: Well, I suppose we should make one of these generators and find out what it does (and hope it isn't dangerous).

Ā 

Peon: Well, sire, that would be a fine plan, except we don't know how to make one either.

Ā 

(King pauses and fumes)

Ā 

King: Guards!!! Send this lackwit to the gas chambers!!!

You can always do the INST order to find out what the installation does and what it costs to build. You also get a little bit of info in the Installaions Report the turn it is dicovered.

Ā 

The question is, why do we not get the prerequisites, which I also think we should.

Ā 

If we got an auto INST like we do ANZ when we successfully research an item, that would be fantastic! :cheers:

FWIW - I think it has been mentioned that RTG is looking into that very thing - making INST give the pre-requisites for the structure. I haven't heard or read anything concerning an auto INST function, but your turn does give a brief "function description" of each installation on the Installations page, which is better than nothing. ;)