Rolling Thunder Forums

Repair Bays!

It appears that repair bays are now an option! Depending on their size, I wonder when the best time to use them would be?

If they're as large as the other various bays, I can see limiting their use to both large warships and specially designed "repair vessils" which could run out and join a damaged warfleet. Also, a few in orbit around major colonies and homeworlds would be useful.

Finally, they might be useful on long-range recon and exploration ships.

Thoughts?

-Sha'thar

It appears that repair bays are now an option!  Depending on their size, I wonder when the best time to use them would be?

If they're as large as the other various bays, I can see limiting their use to both large warships and specially designed "repair vessils" which could run out and join a damaged warfleet.  Also, a few in orbit around major colonies and homeworlds would be useful.

Finally, they might be useful on long-range recon and exploration ships.

Thoughts?

-Sha'thar

All ships repair damage (even without repair bays) at a slow rate. The question as to how useful these bays will be and when to use them depends on how much of an increase in the repair rate they give.

First is the question of how the repair bays work. Do they increase the repair rate based on a bay to tonnage ratio? Or, do they simply increase the tonnage repaired per turn. I would prefer a tonnage based solution. But with a fleet level effect, I would guess it is some fleet level value applied to the tonnage of each ship in the fleet (similar to the CIDS defense screens).

Second is the value towards the ship or fleet. Lets imagine you have a long-range recon vessel at 300,000 tons in size. Now you slap on two repair bays. Of course these means adding some more engines to keep the AP the same, and fuel tanks to maintain the range, and fire control to keep the fire rate up. You now more than likely have a 350,000 ton ship. If the repair rate only went up slightly, would the increase in materials and size be worth it compared to the ships mission (and what will likely happen with the next encounter since the enemy that damage you is now warned and more will be coming).

Of course I can see building Repair ships. Just like a carrier, but built with lots of repair bays instead of fighte bays, and assigned to location 12 to stay out of battle. But again it all depends on the repair rate. It might be far for economical to build your capital ships with more MK IX Force shields and prevent the damage to begin with, rather than build a Repair Tug.

Of course I can see building Repair ships. Just like a carrier, but built with lots of repair bays instead of fighte bays, and assigned to location 12 to stay out of battle. But again it all depends on the repair rate. It might be far for economical to build your capital ships with more MK IX Force shields and prevent the damage to begin with, rather than build a Repair Tug.

I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction to the Repair Bay. Much depends on how you design your ships: you might not have Mk IX Force Shields, or you use a lot of fixed installations, which benefit more from armor than shields because of the integrity multiplier. Large fortresses tend to have a lot of integrity, but could take quite a long time to repair themselves if they survive a brutal combat. Shields snap back to full strength, but if you count the survivability of a ship to be equal to its shields + integrity, repairing damaged integrity still has its uses - if Repair Bays only worked on the ships they were installed on, they'd be far less useful, and Cargo Barge designers everywhere would be in big trouble..... :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Behold the ANZ for the Repair Bay :blink:

Repair Bay: Repair Bays contain extensive maintenance and repair facilities along with damage control parties trained in the repair of surface fortresses, orbital installations and starships. Inter-ship Cargo Barges are included so that engineering teams and any bulky equipment they might need can be sent to exterior portions of the vessel they are repairing or even to other units in the same fleet. In this way a ship equipped with Repair Bays assists in repairing any other ship, surface fortress or orbital installation in their fleet. Repair Bays have a higher-than-usual structural integrity value to simulate emergency battle repairs, but they add substantially more capability during post-battle repairs (executed following all other actions in a turn cycle). Fleet repair capability is increased by about one million integrity points of damage for each Repair Bay installed on a ship in that fleet. Ships always try to repair themselves completely if they can

before drawing on fleet damage control parties, to allow repair teams to be available for more heavily damaged fleet assets. Lightly damaged ships tend to be repaired completely before more heavily damaged ships are attended to. (100,000 tons) 400,000 Steel - 50,000 Heavy Machinery - 10 Cargo Barge

Classification: Repair Yard Structural Integrity: 250000

Prerequisite Technologies: Heavy Machinery, Cargo Barge

My first impresions of this is that it is big, 100,000 tons means that its not something your going to be putting into every ship that's leaving your shipyards. On the plus side it certainly does appear to affect all of the ships in the fleet, so I can see support ships becoming more common.

Sir Smeg :thumbsup:

My first impresions of this is that it is big, 100,000 tons means that its not something your going to be putting into every ship that's leaving your shipyards.  On the plus side it certainly does appear to affect all of the ships in the fleet, so I can see support ships becoming more common.

Sir Smeg  :thumbsup:

A quick look at the math shows that this is not an item that you would not want to include on most war ships.

Consider:

* Any damaged ship can reapir up to 5% of its integrety per turn.

* Armor, due to its high integrety, can therefor self-repair a ship at an excellerated rate.

* For example a ton of, Tckon 68, with 1000 integrity will self-repair the ship that it is on by 50 integrity points, or 50 times its mass.

* A Repair Bay will repair 1,000,000 integrity as a special ablitiy, plus 12,500 integrity in self-repair due to its own inherent integrity. That is 10.125 times its mass.

So, any system that has an integrity better than about 200 per mass will actually repair its host ship, orbital, or ground fortress, faster than a repair bay. This leaves the bay as a reasonable addition to a war ship only if your tech is relatively primative.

Now, Repair Bays do have the valuable benefit of being able to repair OTHER ships! So I think they still have a very useful place in specialized repair ships or dry docks.

TErnest