Rolling Thunder Forums

Cloaking Decvices

Jodookus

On the midDecember turn there was a notice about espionage and cloaking tech. I'm wondering if either have been implemented? If not yet will there be a message when these features are activated? Will there be an explanation in the header or will there be a rules supplement describing how to use them? In the ANZ for the Type A Cloaking Device there are not details how it works. It says

A single Type A Cloaking Device provides enough shielding to cloak 10,000 tons. Insufficient cloaking will result in significant leakage and probable detection.

It doesnt say whether overcloaking a ship will be better than having just enough cloaking to cover a ship.

Say I want to cloak a 100000ton ship. In design 1 I put 10 Type A Cloaking Device in the design using 50000t of the design. That would provide the amount to cloak a 100kt ship based on the ANZ. In design 2 I want to improve the ships cloakiness. This time I put in 15 units which takes 75000 out of 100000 tons. Is design 2 going be harder to get a sighting on than design 1, or will they both have the same chance to be detected?

What happens if I run across some other guys fleet in a cloaked ship? Wwill I know whether I've been seen? Will there be a message saying - You observe Fleet #123 at your location, but Fleet#123 does not see you!!"? How will I know whether I was signted or not?

On the midDecember turn there was a notice about espionage and cloaking tech. I'm wondering if either have been implemented? If not yet will there be a message when these features are activated? Will there be an explanation in the header or will there be a rules supplement describing how to use them? In the ANZ for the Type A Cloaking Device there are not details how it works. It says

A single Type A Cloaking Device provides enough shielding to cloak 10,000 tons. Insufficient cloaking will result in significant leakage and probable detection.

It doesnt say whether overcloaking a ship will be better than having just enough cloaking to cover a ship.

Say I want to cloak a 100000ton ship. In design 1 I put 10 Type A Cloaking Device in the design using 50000t of the design. That would provide the amount to cloak a 100kt ship based on the ANZ. In design 2 I want to improve the ships cloakiness. This time I put in 15 units which takes 75000 out of 100000 tons. Is design 2 going be harder to get a sighting on than design 1, or will they both have the same chance to be detected?

What happens if I run across some other guys fleet in a cloaked ship? Wwill I know whether I've been seen? Will there be a message saying - You observe Fleet #123 at your location, but Fleet#123 does not see you!!"? How will I know whether I was signted or not?

Given the December missive, I would guess any current answer (if cloaking currently works) will soon be null and void as Pete changes things. Why if you could produce a well cloaked ship, you could (in theory) sneak such a heavily cloaked ship to someone's HW and issue orders to do something silly, like say, drop 50,000 tons worth of NWTX-4000 Planetcrackers. Not that I would ever think of doing that mind you .. just in theory, of course. Don't forget that the wording on more advanced sensors implies (at least to me) that they can pierce through cloaks. So the tech line may not be all it's cracked up to be.

Cloaks are like any other system in that there is always something to counter them. I'm going to presume that there is a sensor that can 'pierce' a cloak. Of course the better the cloaking device the harder to pierce and the better the sensor, the easier. There will probably be a ratio similar to a specific defense to a weapons.

BTW, Cloaks are great for my freighters as they deliver their concoctions to those who need them, especially in war zones. (and they are everywhere!!)

Oh, and they don't work against black holes......

Cheers! :woohoo::angry2::jawdrop:

Pete did say (I think it might have been in the last SnRote Reader) that Cloaking would get a nurf just so you couldn't sneak into orbit around a HW and bomb them back to the stone age before they noticed you were there.

But I agree that some sort of message would be nice just to indicate if the cloak worked or not.

Now cloaking your cargo ships is a great idea but that is alot of cloaks for some of those million + cargo barges out there.

Lord SaHeru

Cloaks are like any other system in that there is always something to counter them. I'm going to presume that there is a sensor that can 'pierce' a cloak.

Mass Detection Sensors and Gravitic Web Generators I believe counter cloaks.

But I agree that some sort of message would be nice just to indicate if the cloak worked or not.

But if you were in a cloaked ship how would you know that cloaking worked? Probably because you weren't fired upon so I am not sure a message is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

I would certainly like a message of some sort. When Cloaks were first available I built a cloaked ship and off it went. All was fine as I passed by numerous pathfinders and other noncombatants. However, the story changed when I encountered a war ship, which promptly vaporized my cloaked ship.

We all found out much later that cloaking was not working as advertised.

I would not like a repeat of the first event so hopefully there will be some sort of blurb, similar to the one for WP surveys that lists the installations that assisted the survey.

There is likely no way to know for certain if you have been spotted or not, but the "captain" should make an educated guess one way or the other.

I would also expect that the other side would get a similar blurb on the occasions where the cloaked ship was not able to maintain complete invisiblity. This blurb should be an attention grabber, but offer little information.

:P<_<:D

There is likely no way to know for certain if you have been spotted or not, but the "captain" should make an educated guess one way or the other.

I would also expect that the other side would get a similar blurb on the occasions where the cloaked ship was not able to maintain complete invisiblity. This blurb should be an attention grabber, but offer little information.

:cheers::D:drunk:

These messages would be great. I second the motion... (Not that I'm calling for the Senate to regroup or anything!) :D

-LX