Rolling Thunder Forums

When a player goes away...

I'd like to have a better understanding of the accepted common wizdom regarding "dropped" empires. I understand that when the dropped position is picked up, all ships of that empire outside the home system "disappear."

But between the point that one player drops and another picks up the position, what happens? Do ships in convoy routes continue on their merry way, build ques build and so on?

-Sha'thar

Clan Eldress

The Gosht Kohr

I'd like to have a better understanding of the accepted common wizdom regarding "dropped" empires. I understand that when the dropped position is picked up, all ships of that empire outside the home system "disappear."

But between the point that one player drops and another picks up the position, what happens? Do ships in convoy routes continue on their merry way, build ques build and so on?

-Sha'thar

Clan Eldress

The Gosht Kohr

My understanding was dropped positions are run by the AI of the game and kept intact (with all ships) for a bit. This is to allow for the dropping player to potentially return to their former empire within a reasonable amount of time, as well as fair play within the game. But, after a certain amount of time, the game or Pete will delete / drop all of those excess ships. The amount of time this takes has not been published.

I also always thought if someone took over a dropped position say after a few turns, that the ships would still be there. For the ships to disappear due to being picked up is a surprise to me. Could it be the position was inactive long enough to trigger a deletion of ships, before being picked up?

As I understand it everything still runs as it would normally run. That is how you get srockpiles of 3000 colony berths when capturing dropped positions.

Fleets continue to run on convoy routes, but other fleets sitting around tend to disappear after a while. There was some comment about obsolete ships being deleted to eliminate the bread crumb trail back to the HW.

I have not heard of anybocy complaining about a lack of shipping when reactivating a dropped position. In all likely hood the ships are just made invisible to other players and will come out of the closet when the position is reactivated.

<_<:D

As I understand it everything still runs as it would normally run. That is how you get srockpiles of 3000 colony berths when capturing dropped positions.

Fleets continue to run on convoy routes, but other fleets sitting around tend to disappear after a while. There was some comment about obsolete ships being deleted to eliminate the bread crumb trail back to the HW.

I have not heard of anybocy complaining about a lack of shipping when reactivating a dropped position. In all likely hood the ships are just made invisible to other players and will come out of the closet when the position is reactivated.

:joker::blink:

Or 56 Million Grains and not much else, I ask you, if you are considering dropping, please build all the mines you should do, no one likes to pick up a dropped HW after 50 turns and find no iron mines and a yield in excess of 400!