Rolling Thunder Forums

Questions from an outsider

jtgame2003

I have played many PBM games - although many years ago- and was thinking about playing Supernova.

I like the detail and options that I see. I enjoy a game that has options for expanding and diplomacy. However, I do tend to dispise the mapping feature of games. How does the mapping in SN work?

The game seems to be in the beginning stages, from those who have been in it, how has it been? Enjoyable? Has there been diplomacy yet or is it still building?

Jeff

There are probably as many mapping systems out there as there are players, but mostly they are either:

Excel

Visio

Graph Paper and Pencil

I started with Visio, have a version in Excel, and am thinking more and more about going to a big wall map of graph paper.

I strongly encourage you trying the game. There is a LOT of diplomacy going on, and a great player base.

Regards,

Tom

This is a cool game.

Its catered for an expanding universe so you shouldnt feel left behind.

The first year of play is pretty smooth for the most part. First Contact occurs as early as 6 months but can take as long as a year. Its more of a builder than an all-out wargame at this stage with the anticipation the "war" aspect will pick up soon.

Its worth my entertainment budget and for $30 a month, you can accomplish what you need to do.

I suggest roping in some friends as it will make the anticipation of bumping into people a little more entertaining.

First thing my firends and I ask each other...."you get blown up yet?"

I like the detail and options that I see. I enjoy a game that has options for expanding and diplomacy. However, I do tend to dispise the mapping feature of games. How does the mapping in SN work?

The game seems to be in the beginning stages, from those who have been in it, how has it been? Enjoyable? Has there been diplomacy yet or is it still building?

Jeff

Dear Jeff,

To answer your points. Mapping. Don't know how much you know but the key mapping is of stars and their warp points. Travelling through the warp points leads to other stars. You would also need to keep track of planets explored - especially those you might want to colonise now or later. Most players keep databases, either pen and paper or excel/access to track this information.

I think it fair to say the game is in its diplomatic infancy, as not many races have met in game. The game is light (or certainly has been for me) on 'in character' diplomacy between species. That will change, as races explore further from their home systems and as the proliferation of space ships increases.

The game is enjoyable. I am enjoying exploration, getting research breakthroughs and expanding my fleet. But as you point out, I am looking forward to jostling with the aliens out there.

If you decide to give the game a whirl, as fellow Posters have indicated - I am sure lots of people will be willing to help with any questions, FWIW myself included.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Many thanks for the responses. I did fax in 2 set-ups today so I will look forward to sharing my experiences with all of you.

If anyone has an example of how they map using Excel, I would love to see it. I am not asking for your mapping info, just the template if you would care to share.

I can be reached at jtgame2003@yahoo.com.

See you around the empire!