Rolling Thunder Forums

Astrosynthesis 2.0

Sakarissa

I've been using GraphVis neato. But it has it's limitations. As the number of systems increases, the size of the objects grow smaller until you can't read them. The objects in the middle are packed together tight, but the objects around the edge are spread far apart. And I haven't found a way to print across multiple pages with a margin, some things get lost between the edges of the pages. But its really nice how it sorts all of the linked star systems into the appropriate shape.

And I use an old version of Visio for areas that have been fully mapped - once I know all the system connections. The Visio map is much easier to read and print on multiple pages without printing across boarders. But it is very time consuming to set it up.

I'd be interested to find out if Astrosynthesis works out better than GraphVis. But I'm not sure I want to go through a whole new learning curve to figure out how to use it.

I use Inspiration. I it allows me to insert notes in a system's "bubble." It's easier for me to keep track of fleet sightings, etc.

I was under the impression Astrosynthesis allowed you to import your mdb file without any additionaly filtering. Is this not so?

Lord Uriel

I also use Graphviz and that helps to an extent but it's not my main map. For that I use Excell and its drawing tools. The mess of arrows and line on my map as they crisscross as more connections come online is just messy. I use squares to denote the nexi on my map. I use circles for the other systems but put additional information in the label so I know which system has gas giants. For example:

[fontcolor=blue,label=System Name\nGG 1,5,6];

The systems with Gas Giants for convenient refuel are marked as blue circles and has the GG line with the orbit numbers under the system name. Once you get the map created, it helps out when planning fuel stops.

As far as being able to directly import the mdb into Astrosynthesis, I'm not sure but will delve deeper into their help files and see if that is the case. What I'm hoping Astrosynthesis can do is allow me to drag move existing star systems so the connecting lines don't overlap anything. That way I can get a cleaner map and hopefully a better picture of my section of the galaxy.

On a side note, I've been pondering the meaning of the warp point numbers. 157885 is the highest warp point number I've come across in the entire game. Admittedly, that is a rather large number of warp points. However, the number of actual systems should be less than that. About an average of 3 warp points per system. That would mean roughly 50-60,000 systems. Know that I do the math, that is a lot of systems. Anyhoo, I remember Pete saying something about the underlying logic of the map. I was thinking that the warp point numbers were a pointer to the system they went to in relation to the system the warp point was in. I was basing this on a 3d graph system (x,y,z coordinates). The warp point number would tell the game engine that the system the fleet was WARPing to was x,y,z away from this system. Like 5 nodes (systems) across, 18 nodes up and 7 nodes down the z axis. However, I disproved that theory. Just couldn't see how it would work.

Anyone else want to post their pet theories on the map system?

Sakarissa :blink:

The Circle

Here's a shot:

Worlds and nexii are based on an x,y,z coordinate system, warp point numbers are random, WP sizes correspond to the distance between them.

How do you explain then an A in and an E back?

Umm, the A is downhill so its quicker? :pirate2:

LOL :pirate2::woohoo:

Here's a shot:

Worlds and nexii are based on an x,y,z coordinate system, warp point numbers are random, WP sizes correspond to the distance between them.

Umm, the A is downhill so its quicker? :pirate2:

Solar winds behind your back in one direction, head winds the other? Don't quite understand this downhill thing in free fall....

:woohoo:

Here's a shot:

Umm, the A is downhill so its quicker? :woohoo:

Solar winds behind your back in one direction, head winds the other? Don't quite understand this downhill thing in free fall....

:woohoo:

That doesn't quite work because if its a Black Hole, everything is downhill, so to speak. :pirate2: