Rolling Thunder Forums

Galactic History

Guest Spongebob

Guest Spongebob

Hi all, as a noob to SN I was wondering who if any would like to give me and the other noobs a brief overview of the galaxy we are all in, who are the big players, the good, the bad and the ugly. What secrets can be told. Who out there can tell it as it is. I think it would make a facinating read.

Maybe the leader of each empire can make a single post here and tell it from their point of view.

(please, this is a serious post, no sponge bashing here)

A Brief Overview of the Known Universe ... so many jokes for that straight line, but I will refrain ... for now. :beer:

You could get a pretty good idea of the Who's Who of SN:ROTE by reading through the vast postings on this board. However, most of that kind of political/factional information will be of little use to your Empire for years to come because of the nature of the SN:ROTE Universe. The nature that I speak of is that each new empire is added the the ever expanding "frontier" of the SN:ROTE Universe, which gives a pretty good buffer of uncharted systems between the "n00bs" and the "Old Grognards" (who have been playing since Day 0). Even with mind-boggling Engine, Jump Survey Sensor and Jump Drive technologies, it takes time to SURV [survey] unknown warp points and SS [system scan] unknown star systems, which is the only way to map the "roads" of the Universe.

That being said, what some of the veterans can give you is their knowledge and wisdom of the quirks, flaws and essentials of the SN:ROTE game, such as Mineral Fertilizers are currently a completely useless resource and there is no known use for Improved Timber.

There are 'factions' in the game, such as the Phoenix Arisen group and the Holy Brotherhood of Brewmasters [HBoB]. Some, like Phoenix Arisen are a serious faction with political connections, inter-Empire trade routes and organized military structures. Others, like the HBoB, are just for fun, not for galactic conquest. There have even been pure information trading groups such as the Crossroads faction, which shared ANZ information on a quid pro quo basis (i.e. You send me the ANZ of some technology I don't possess and I will give you the ANZ of a technology you don't possess). Note that you cannot actually "teach" another Empire any kind of technology advance, you have to research everything you want your Empire to know your self. You can trade manufactured goods, but not knowledge.

Regarding who are the "bad" guys, who are the "good" guys and who is just plain "ugly", that you will have to decide on your own. :D

For me, the "good" guys are my friends and allies. The "bad" guys are my enemies and 'shoot first' diplomacy crowd. The "ugly" ones are those that pretend to be the former and turn out to be the latter. YMMV

FWIW,

-SK :cheers:

Others, like the HBoB, are just for fun, not for galactic conquest.

That's right, we are just harmless merchants, traders and intergalactic entrepreneurs. You should welcome us when we arrive, no need to protect sensitive information. No need to think otherwise. Liquid sustenance anyone?

:beer:

Regarding who are the "bad" guys, who are the "good" guys and who is just plain "ugly", that you will have to decide on your own. :D

For me, the "good" guys are my fiends and allies. The "bad" guys are my enemies and 'shoot first' diplomacy crowd. The "ugly" ones are those that pretend to be the former and turn out to be the latter. YMMV

FWIW,

-SK :thumbsup:

Hey, who you calling a 'fiend'? :nuke:

Sponge,

It sounds like a lot of new positions were started around the same time as yours (just the last cycle or two I take it) so all those new positions are likely to be your neighbors. Your neck of the woods is likely to be very active - especially if you and the Monk end up being neighbors.... :python:

The old-timers won't be anywhere near you...at least for a little while yet...

-LX

Another interesting side effect is that the empires started around turns 14-30 or so are actually more dangerous than those started at the beginning of the game. Not only are they likely to be closer to you, but the "core" races had to learn everything hard way and were generally less efficiently built and less efficiently run. The lessons learned during those first formative months could be applied from the beginning on a new empire, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Another interesting side effect is that the empires started around turns 14-30 or so are actually more dangerous than those started at the beginning of the game. Not only are they likely to be closer to you, but the "core" races had to learn everything hard way and were generally less efficiently built and less efficiently run. The lessons learned during those first formative months could be applied from the beginning on a new empire, though.

Never been called 'Dangerous' before.

Well, I have, but that's either to do with my driving or laboratory experiments!