Rolling Thunder Forums

Flag Bridge, or the Death of the Screen Swarm

Lord Xaar

I had to move this topic to its own thread. I nearly missed the entire conversation in the "Are Turns In Yet" thread since I don't always read it...

I'd be very curious to know how effectively the Flag Bridge nullifies the Screen Strategy. Have they been used in combat yet?

-LX

An intriguing question!

I'm working on a very detailed hypothesis to this, using resource analysis. I'm curious as to how these are actually performing in game.

If the Flag Bridge is to be the antithesis of the "screen swarm", it would need to impart threat assessment to the commander of the ship it is a component of. Basically, it would have to allow the capital ships on the side with Flag Bridges the ability to "ignore" the screen ships and target the capital ships of their opponents, thus nullifying the major function of the screens. <_<

It would be a bonus if the Flag Bridge-equipped ship(s) could impart their selective targetting ability to the Fleet they were in. :blink:

It would also be a bonus if the Flag Bridge-equipped ship(s) could prioritize their targets based on firepower. This would completely eliminate the construction of the "flying brick" type of screen ships, which are just engines and non-weapon components. Right now ships will target screens that are nothing but a Mk I Nuclear Engine, a Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive and Standard Hull armor. Why shoot at something that cannot hurt you? (Since kamikaze attacks aren't an option in SN:ROTE.) :cheers:

YMMV,

-SK :blink:

If the Flag Bridge is to be the antithesis of the "screen swarm", it would need to impart threat assessment to the commander of the ship it is a component of. Basically, it would have to allow the capital ships on the side with Flag Bridges the ability to "ignore" the screen ships and target the capital ships of their opponents, thus nullifying the major function of the screens. <_<

It would be a bonus if the Flag Bridge-equipped ship(s) could impart their selective targetting ability to the Fleet they were in. :blink:

It would also be a bonus if the Flag Bridge-equipped ship(s) could prioritize their targets based on firepower. This would completely eliminate the construction of the "flying brick" type of screen ships, which are just engines and non-weapon components. Right now ships will target screens that are nothing but a Mk I Nuclear Engine, a Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive and Standard Hull armor. Why shoot at something that cannot hurt you? (Since kamikaze attacks aren't an option in SN:ROTE.) :cheers:

YMMV,

I still see one MAJOR issue. Even if the Flag bridge by-passes those pesky screens they still have to be KILLED. I can only imagine how many screens there are in the game at this point. certainly enough to

slow things down considerably and they still have to be squished. They just wont go away all on thier own.

Granted that once players see the folly of building 1000's maybe even 10's of thousands of junk screens

they will stop but what happens to the ones already taking up data space???

YMMV,

I still see one MAJOR issue. Even if the Flag bridge by-passes those pesky screens they still have to be KILLED. I can only imagine how many screens there are in the game at this point. certainly enough to

slow things down considerably and they still have to be squished. They just wont go away all on thier own.

Granted that once players see the folly of building 1000's maybe even 10's of thousands of junk screens

I don't think that's a major problem. If everyone stopped building junk screens today, there would still be a few slow turns but things would gradually speed up as the screens were cleared out.

YMMV,

I don't think that's a major problem. If everyone stopped building junk screens today, there would still be a few slow turns but things would gradually speed up as the screens were cleared out.

assuming of course that a majority of players gained the tech to bypass the screens.

This is probably a dumb question but I don't remember it being clearly stated before.

I know Pete is fond of combined arms in general. I've always wondered if the same tactic was necessary against swarms. Combine the various sensors, computers, displays, laser communications, universal translators, etc. to gain an effective combined systems advantage. Can anyone confirm that doesn't work?

The discussions to date imply that combining systems only piles up Bridge Strength and nothing more, so choosing the most cost efficient bridge components is the only real option. That makes me wonder what all of the systems are for, color only?

Other discussions imply that some players have found tech that negates the swarms, but Locklyn, one of the more advanced positions from what I can tell, is still confirming that.

My point is, has it been confirmed that a tech line is the answer to swarms and not something simpler, directly under our noses, like combined systems?

This is probably a dumb question but I don't remember it being clearly stated before.

I know Pete is fond of combined arms in general. I've always wondered if the same tactic was necessary against swarms. Combine the various sensors, computers, displays, laser communications, universal translators, etc. to gain an effective combined systems advantage. Can anyone confirm that doesn't work?

The discussions to date imply that combining systems only piles up Bridge Strength and nothing more, so choosing the most cost efficient bridge components is the only real option. That makes me wonder what all of the systems are for, color only?

Other discussions imply that some players have found tech that negates the swarms, but Locklyn, one of the more advanced positions from what I can tell, is still confirming that.

My point is, has it been confirmed that a tech line is the answer to swarms and not something simpler, directly under our noses, like combined systems?

I have not made any cryptic comments for quite some time, and I have the urge. Give me a moment to put on my Vorlon Halloween costume...

"The combined systems IS the tech line."

TErnest

I have not made any cryptic comments for quite some time, and I have the urge. Give me a moment to put on my Vorlon Halloween costume...

TErnest

That makes way too much sense to be true. <_<

TErnest

"How will it all end?

In Fire"

Peter's computer explodes...

Ahh, that seems like a perfectly clear, unclear answer. I can work with that.

Of course I now know why I didn't remember it being clearly stated before! <_<

Sorry about that Drasn, I could not resist. Like any typical Vorlon utterance, it is a comment that will only be clear once you finally know all the details. (Like the ANZ.) Then, it will be so crystal clear, you will wonder how anyone could have said anything differently.

The last time your core sugggestion / question about the possible combined effect of various bridge systems came up, Pete made some cryptic comment in that the thread that he liked to read this board because occasionally it gives him a good idea. Very shortly after that, the very first EXPL hits (ever!) started appearing on Flag Brigdes.

TErnest

Of course I now know why I didn't remember it being clearly stated before! :blink:

Sorry about that Drasn, I could not resist. Like any typical Vorlon utterance, it is a comment that will only be clear once you finally know all the details. (Like the ANZ.) Then, it will be so crystal clear, you will wonder how anyone could have said anything differently.

The last time your core sugggestion / question about the possible combined effect of various bridge systems came up, Pete made some cryptic comment in that the thread that he liked to read this board because occasionally it gives him a good idea. Very shortly after that, the very first EXPL hits (ever!) started appearing on Flag Brigdes.

TErnest

No problem. I guess my response was more cryptic than intended. I meant the response was perfectly clear, despite the Vorlonism.

I'll have to go find Pete's comment, that's interesting. And I would never have put it together with the appearance of flag bridges. Again, interesting.

Thanks! <_<

Of course I now know why I didn't remember it being clearly stated before! :cheers:

TErnest

No problem. I guess my response was more cryptic than intended. I meant the response was perfectly clear, despite the Vorlonism.

I'll have to go find Pete's comment, that's interesting. And I would never have put it together with the appearance of flag bridges. Again, interesting.

Thanks! :blink:

So maybe my fetish of researching the lowest level of all tech lines will finally provide me with something unique? Too bad I used up the Santa SRPs already and didn't get that Tazer..... <_<

Octus