Rolling Thunder Forums

Drone racks

Sakarissa

What is the Rate of Fire for drone racks? It is one drone per rack per combat pulse? Do the drone racks all get emptied on the first pulse? I know missiles are one missile per combat pulse like any other direct fire weapon. Really curious about drones.....

Sakarissa :P

The Circle

My understanding has been that all fighters and drones are launched immediately. After all, the weapon is the fighter or drone, not the bay or rack.

What is the Rate of Fire for drone racks? It is one drone per rack per combat pulse? Do the drone racks all get emptied on the first pulse? I know missiles are one missile per combat pulse like any other direct fire weapon. Really curious about drones.....

Sakarissa :nuke:

The Circle

Drones work just like fighters. :P They all get deployed and do thier mischief until they return( you win) or thier drone ships are destroyed( you lose) :nuke: There are several interesting kinds of drones that seem to help if your into these things. :nuke:

The Circle

My understanding has been that all fighters and drones are launched immediately. After all, the weapon is the fighter or drone, not the bay or rack.

actually the bay or rack also contribute... well at least the bay does. not so sure about the drone rack.

this was stated so by RTG themselves many many many moons ago. :P

The Circle

actually the bay or rack also contribute... well at least the bay does. not so sure about the drone rack.

this was stated so by RTG themselves many many many moons ago. :P

The fighter bay and drone rack contribute the space to store drones or fighters. Drones and Fighters are cargo (IE, you load them into the ship). You can only be loaded onto a ship at 10,000 tons of drones / fighters per rack / bay. In combat they all launch all at once at the start. This is where the difference between missles and drones / fighters come in.

For missles, you launch one per weapon per round, just like firing say a Hellbore cannon or Pulse Laser each round. The Missle defense of the enemy can take out some of the missles coming in. But as long as your missle ship is undamaged, it fires the same number of missles each round. The missles only decrease in number as the missle ship takes damage.

Drones and fighters on the other hand get slowly whittled away (or blasted depending on the tech levels) round by round by the enemy missle defense. You could launch 1000 drones, win the space battle and get off with no damage to the drone ship .. and only 400 might come back home (the rest lost to CIDS).

In battle, the drones and fighters fight close in so they are always at max fire power. And you can research the pulse engine upgrades that make them harder and harder to hit with CIDS. Missles follow the standard weapon tonnage to strength scale (such as Fair = 2 points damage for each ton). But they can be impacted by the distance fired (so a Heavy Missle is a Short range weapon).