Rolling Thunder Forums

Dep Locs

Sakarissa

Okay, I'm just trying to understand the arcane numbers of the Dep Locs. Let me setup an example. Let's say I have a weapon system with a range category of Standoff. An enemy ship with weapons from the Beam range category is attacking my ship with standoff weapons. I was a smart cookie and placed my ship is Dep Loc 10. That means I can dish out 100% damage from that Dep Loc. The beam rated ship was placed in Dep Loc 1 to make sure he did 100% damage. However, due to the range difference, while I'm doing 100% damage, my attacker is only doing 10% damage. I like this rate of exchange. I win this battle and he attacks me again with the same class ship. This time he placed his ship in Dep Loc 2 while I stayed in Dep Loc 10. How does this work out?

Option A: Attacker is in Dep Loc 2 and does 90% damage. That percentage of damage is reduced to 9% (10% of the 90% due to my Dep Loc) and I still laugh at him while blowing holes in his ship.

Option B: Attacker is in Dep Loc 2 and does 90% damage. Since there is a 90% reduction in damage due to my ship being in Dep Loc 10, his ship would do no damage at all (-10% from his Dep Loc and -90% from my Dep Loc)

My guess is that Option A is the right one but wasn't quite sure.

Sakarissa :ranting:

The Circle

Okay, I'm just trying to understand the arcane numbers of the Dep Locs. Let me setup an example. Let's say I have a weapon system with a range category of Standoff. An enemy ship with weapons from the Beam range category is attacking my ship with standoff weapons. I was a smart cookie and placed my ship is Dep Loc 10. That means I can dish out 100% damage from that Dep Loc. The beam rated ship was placed in Dep Loc 1 to make sure he did 100% damage. However, due to the range difference, while I'm doing 100% damage, my attacker is only doing 10% damage. I like this rate of exchange. I win this battle and he attacks me again with the same class ship. This time he placed his ship in Dep Loc 2 while I stayed in Dep Loc 10. How does this work out?

Option A: Attacker is in Dep Loc 2 and does 90% damage. That percentage of damage is reduced to 9% (10% of the 90% due to my Dep Loc) and I still laugh at him while blowing holes in his ship.

Option B: Attacker is in Dep Loc 2 and does 90% damage. Since there is a 90% reduction in damage due to my ship being in Dep Loc 10, his ship would do no damage at all (-10% from his Dep Loc and -90% from my Dep Loc)

My guess is that Option A is the right one but wasn't quite sure.

Sakarissa :ranting:

The Circle

that pretty much sums it up except for one thing. The degredation is not quite that severe. A weapon with 'beam' designation can still be very effective even out to where that DL 10 ship is located. Some of those higher gen beam range weapons are quite powerful and even at reduced effectiveness can still put quite a hurtin on those ships in the back DL's