Rolling Thunder Forums

Tactical Rail Strike

The bombing of the rail in Vejle came up in the game 87 thread

Sponge bob would like to know how many of the dreaded JU88s would be needed to make a dent, and also how to combat such a devious and evil plan.

Please help out the disinterested, innocent by-stander, wouldn't-dream-of-it, how-dare-you-sir, that's-a-damned-lie, people out there who want to try it.

Has anybody done TRS. is it worth it, how many bombers were used, at what SMR and what was the result?

Guest Spongebob

Sponge bob would like to know how many of the dreaded JU88s would be needed to make a dent, and also how to combat such a devious and evil plan.

Please help out the disinterested, innocent by-stander, wouldn't-dream-of-it, how-dare-you-sir, that's-a-damned-lie, people out there who want to try it.

Has anybody done TRS. is it worth it, how many bombers were used, at what SMR and what was the result?

Well I have combated this evil and devious plot by building up my rail EVERY SINGLE TURN so no matter how many bombers are sent IT WONT BE ENOUGH :woohoo:

Well I have combated this evil and devious plot by building up my rail EVERY SINGLE TURN so no matter how many bombers are sent IT WONT BE ENOUGH :P

A few groups of 25 bombers, will put a serious dent into any rail line. :thumbsup:

Spongie, you can only build so fast, once it drops below a 1000 you can only add a 100 a turn. bombers will destroy way more then that, so sooner or later you will have only about a 100 points of rail per turn to move stuff. :jawdrop:

So enjoy the logistics of moving large amounts with no rail, I would suggest ships as a back up, but they get destroyed just as easy as rail. :rolleyes:

DezertCamel :robot:

Guest Spongebob

Oh :jawdrop: A flaw in my plan, so how many bombers and lets say the best the German military can muster at around T15 does it take to destroy 100 rail oh great and all knowing Lumpy Backed One?

Oh :jawdrop: A flaw in my plan, so how many bombers and lets say the best the German military can muster at around T15 does it take to destroy 100 rail oh great and all knowing Lumpy Backed One?

You will find out soon enough :P

DezertCamel :rolleyes:

Spongie here is an example from game 74, mission was a range 8 for a Ju-88. Granted the experience levels are high, it gives you an idea. :rolleyes:

Saudi Arabia conducted a ground level tactical strike of xCeuta on Thursday, June 14, 2007

The 8th Air Div. inflicted the following damage to France:

3 National Morale points due to terror bombardment

1240 points of special rail capacity ------ I flew 4 TRS missions, this was the 1st of 4, there was no more rail for the next 3 strikes ----------

47 Security Factors

Air Marshal Sultan is the commander for Saudi Arabia Combat Bonuses for Saudi Arabia total +15%

ATTACKER STARTING FORCES

8th Air Div.

Air Group Name Experience Planes Air Group Name Experience Planes

37th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 39th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

40th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 41st Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

42nd Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Veteran 60 43rd Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

44th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 53rd Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

54th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 95th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Veteran 60

97th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 98th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

114th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 116th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Veteran 60

117th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Veteran 60 123rd Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

124th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 125th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

126th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Veteran 60 128th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Veteran 60

130th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60 145th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

146th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Veteran 60 163rd Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

174th Hvy Dive Bomb, Ju-88A-4 Elite 60

So you see rail dies faster then it can be built just like ships...... :jawdrop:

DezertCamel :P

:blink: OMG, I got to have me some of that, never knew it was so devastating. Looks like fighers are the best defence

Flexibility and planning. If you're planning a railwork network that all hinges on one location, defend that place at all cost, using fixed defences, Fighter cover, Intercepts, etc.

But it is impossible to protect all of your network this way (well, unless you're Switzerland), so maybe it is better not to rely on rail transport alone.

In game #2 (Dutch) I tried to move an army from Algeria to Egypt, using the territory of Libya (a TA at the time). North Africa has quite a bottleneck, very vulnerable to rail strikes. So it was protected by the maximum fighter cover I could arrange.

And what was left of the rail network was used for supplies and replacements, supplemented by occasional shipments in the nearby harbors. The army just had to walk all the way.

I remember using a lot of energy, that particular game.

• 2 months later...
:thumbsup: OMG, I got to have me some of that, never knew it was so devastating. Looks like fighers are the best defence

&remember LAA&HAA: utterly worthless. :woohoo: Even in extremely high qty.