Rolling Thunder Forums

A question for those who know these things.....

Breoghan

Type D Stasis Field Generator - is that a cumulative effect kinda thing - needing thousands of generators to be of any use. Or is it a one size fits all deal?

Ditto the Mk (whatever) Holographic Cybernetic Battle Director?

The Type D Stasis Field Generator works like all of the other ship defensive systems. Protection (reduction of incoming fire power) is based on % coverage. To increase your protection you would need more of them on a ship. It is not a one size fits all deal. One of these on a massive ship would have little to no effect.

Same with all of the systems that affect fire control, like the HCBDs. You total up their combined strength and divide by fleet tonnage to get the FC of the fleet.

Type D Stasis Field Generator - is that a cumulative effect kinda thing - needing thousands of generators to be of any use. Or is it a one size fits all deal?

Ditto the Mk (whatever) Holographic Cybernetic Battle Director?

You dont really need thousands of them but a large number would be required to be of any real use. Here is an example...

You place 1 of those generators on a ship which displaces 120000. That ship would have a 50 percent defense against EVERY weapon known

but at a cost of nearly 21 percent of the ships total tonnage. Now that same ship if designed as a long range standoff type ship ie

carrier or missile ship can attain the max allowable defensive bonus as range defensive bonus adds to bonus achieved by the Type D SFG

so..... if you placed this SFG equipped ship at DL 12 you could achieve max defensive modifier while maximizing your offensive potential.

a smaller ship properly equipped with SFG's and long range weapons could easily achieve victory against a much larger ship assuming

roughly equal weapon tonnage levels

You dont really need thousands of them but a large number would be required to be of any real use. Here is an example...

Depends on how big your ship is. It's % based. A massive ship would need thousands of them to maintain the level of protection in your example.

True but the max practical is 50 percent protection much more then that isn.t required in my example as range would provide the

other defensive modifier. It must be noted that the SFG is really only good if you intend on pummeling your enemies from a great distance.

up close and personal that extra tonnage would be better off used for shields and armor etc

True but the max practical is 50 percent protection much more then that isn.t required in my example as range would provide the

other defensive modifier. It must be noted that the SFG is really only good if you intend on pummeling your enemies from a great distance.

up close and personal that extra tonnage would be better off used for shields and armor etc

Quite true. But that still doesn't change the fact that a massive ship WOULD take thousans of SFGs to achieve the level of protection in your example. 21% of a 1 billion ton ship is 210 million tons of Type D SFGs. At 25k per SFG, that's 8,400 of them.

My analytical skills might not be the best, but I would say that qualifies as "thousands".

and i believe mk ix force shields are the way to go.... and individual defences. chances are you would be in a long and drawn out battle with your foe and would know what weapons they are using.. one could 25 slot the defense 5 or 6 turns and you would have a good level....

The Holographic Battle director is Cumulative also, all bridge systems are.

Divide total Bridge Strength by tonnage to get Fire Control :)

That is what seems so weird. Just five Mk IV Mk IV Holographic Cybernetic Battle Director would come to 2 million tons. And according to my information, the Mk V Flag Bridge weighs in at 8 million tons each (not to mention the blurb in the ANZ stating, "The presence of more than one Flag Bridge in a fleet does not provide additional capability" and therefore suggesting that not ALL Bridge Strength works along the same lines).

I had always thought that it was cumulative until I read the above. If it works that way for one high tonnage system though, working that way for another is not so far fetched. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has definitively figured it out as yet. Pete doesn't always make these things clear in the various ANZ, so not having stated something is not tantamount to meaning whatever it is must be the same as others.

You can never go wrong with too much clarification.

Flagritz is correct. The HCBDs work like most of the other bridge systems in that their total bridge rating is cummulative and is divided by fleet tonnage to get fire control for a fleet.

The Flag Bridges, though, have two effects. The bridge rating works just like the other systems to determine fire control - Add up all bridge system ratings and divide by total fleet tonnage to get fire control.

The second effect of the Flag Bridge is what works differently and is what Pete is referring to when he says you only need one in a fleet. And this is it's ability to bypass junk screens and focus on the war ships of the opposing fleet. For this benefit, it does no good to have multiple FBs (except as he says to guard against losing your one and only FB during a battle, and thereby losing it's benefit to bypass junk screens before the battle is over).

and i believe mk ix force shields are the way to go.... and individual defences. chances are you would be in a long and drawn out battle with your foe and would know what weapons they are using.. one could 25 slot the defense 5 or 6 turns and you would have a good level....

that plan would also work.. and would make the long range tactic even more effective as you could have more tonnage devoted to long range

weapons.