Rolling Thunder Forums

New Empire

Octus Imperium

Hi there,

I wanted to use this thread as my first contribution just to say hello and thanks to all the people who've used this forum to pass on information to new players like myself.

My first turn is back and I didn't make any mistakes, mainly due to the advice given here.

I've read a lot and it does sound interesting. And now, as it seems there are many paths to take, I just wonder if the choices I've made so far will take me out there................

From the HomeNest

Leader of the Clans of Valar

For all New players, make sure you look over the files in the Supernova FTP Download area. There are documents discussing overall resource management and your economy. There is a lifeform design document. A basic production document to help lay out your first production. And the Starters Items and Installations guide with information on every installation you start the game with, and full analyzes for every item you can research at game start.

With all those documents, and all the threads on this board, you can really jump into the game pretty fast. You can also take all the time you need in getting to know other players before you join any groups.

Interesting interpretation Shadow. We prefer the simple version to be :

"Don't Tread on Me"

However, your assumption is true given some simple logic:

IF Diplomacy = Assimilation AND Defense = Aggression

THEN Phoenix Arisen = Borg

Why did we return?

We've played together since the 80's and all pretty much accept our roles and know what to expect from each other. It seems others liked the thought of joining an established, well-oiled team.

<----trembles in fear! At least the Phoenix gang is going to be a worthy opponent/ally.

Lord Phoenix....I would concern yourself with the Galactic Star League. They claim some 30+ players and think they're the biggest on the block. Of course little old Jack Crow has been a thorn in their side but mayhapst you will be their nemesis.

Just a hop skip and a jump from you....

No worries...

:beer:

I would accept your statement that the Credo of Phoenix Arisen would be "Don't Tread on Me" except for a few minor points. It would imply that yours is an isolationist and reactive Alliance. Yet multiple statements of your "Code of Conduct" are pro-active and expansionistic, which would contra-indicate an isolationist and reactive stance. It is possible though that my translator is not functioning perfectly and I am misinterpreting the nuances of your statements.

Quote: "We stand for our way of life and the rule of Justice, not law."

How can you have Justice without Law?

Quote: "We believe that the way to galactic tranquility is through the elimination of sources of dis-ease."

Not sure how you define "dis-ease", but it is obviously larger in scope than mere physical illness since by it's elimination galactic tranquility is attained. Regardless, a rather pro-active stance, yes?

Quote: "We shall strictly and enthusiastically defend all territories and borders from those who do not share our beliefs."

This being the "Don't Tread on Me" part. :blink:

Quote: "We shall promote the welfare of our constituents through research support and open trade."

How open can your trade be, if you only trade with your own constituents?

Quote: "We ensure the liberty of the beings within our 517 system sphere of control through an active and aggressive expansion of our buffer zones."

Here's where the "Don't Tread on Me" seems to fall down. "Aggressive expansion of our buffer zones" seems to be a polite way of saying "territorial conquest of non-member systems". Perhaps you should phrase it: "Don't Mind Us Treading on You". :lol:

Would you be kind enough to post your 517 systems within your "Sphere"? If you could deliniate which systems are Buffer Zone systems, it would be helpful as well. :D

Just trying to follow Sun Tzu - knowing the terrain and my ... err ... non-ally. :beer:

-SK

And maybe a 517 system sphere means the diameter or even radius, hence there are many more than 517 systems in this sphere.

I am also quite curious to know all the systems being claimed by Phoenix arisen.

I read the statements also more "Borgish" than "Allyish".

Me, I am following the Bush Doctrine, If you are building MDDs to blow me up or I think you are building MMDs, or I think you are helping someone in some way to build MDDs to blow me up, then you are part of the axis of evil, and I must proactivly, take care of this problem. If you are just a non PA member that means me no harm, lets talk. I always wear My white hat, and carry my big stick.

This has been an unofficial, official statement of Gary's view, which is always VERY important to Gary, and Sometimes others listen too. :woohoo:

Gary of Phoenix Arisen :alien: