Rolling Thunder Forums

Boarding, Close Combat

Locklyn

Pete,

Do Divisions on board fleets help with boarding combat or this calculated from the racial design only? Does Fleet Size and type of ships affect this? Do Naval Leaders affect boarding combat or martial artists et such?

Cheers

/Locklyn

Locklyn,

I think Pete answered this question before on the old BBS. If memory serves, the answers were:

Yes, Troops help - certain Troop Types are more adept at Ship-to-Ship boarding actions (e.g. Imperial Marines).

Yes, Fleet size and composition help as does ship design. Fast, heavily armored, troop carrying vessels equipped with gravitonic weapons such as Magnetic Grapples will have an easier time closing in to board another vessel than a lumbering battlewagon.

Yes, Naval Leaders and Martial Artists can help. I'm not sure if Naval Leaders being present in the Fleet help the actual success rate of the Boarding Action itself, but it should help in getting through the preliminary fighting with more of your ships/troops intact to do the boarding. Martial Artists and Army Leaders assigned to the Divisions should help with the actual Boarding Actions, I'd guess. :)

-SK

Thanks Shadow...that was one response I'd missed on the old boards. Thought I had all Petes replies copied :)

Well this is good news for those piratical empires out there... :)

Cheers and thanks again

/Locklyn

• 3 months later...
How does Boarding Combat work? How do I stop someone from capturing my ships? Can this really happen?

-Pig Skin

Figure out what weapons help in capturing ships, and build defensive systems that protect from those systems. Piece of cake. Considering that losing a ship to capture is worse, far worse, than having it destroyed, I would think those systems should be required equipment on all ships, were it me.

Figure out what weapons help in capturing ships, and build defensive systems that protect from those systems. Piece of cake. Considering that losing a ship to capture is worse, far worse, than having it destroyed, I would think those systems should be required equipment on all ships, were it me.

Maybe I missed it, could you point me to the page/download of the rules that discusses boarding combat?

Thanks,

Pig Skin

Official rules and rumors are synonymous. :taz: There has been nothing but rumors and vague comments about boarding action. You know you have been successful when you capture a ship. As far as doing it, you need to use weapons that don't just blow things up, like stunners, tractors etc. This might also be one of the items to be included in a beafed up combat report or FOB.

:taz: