Rolling Thunder Forums

Updating Orbiting Bastions

If it never leaves your home orbit, why dismantle it? If everything on board is obsolete, what are you going to do with a bunch of obsolete components? In orbit it can always draw fire and add a little something in the mix. Additionally, certain components operate on a Fleet level (i.e. Bridge Systems), so building an Orbital with better Sensors and Fire Control in addition to your 'old' Orbitals with extend the life cycle of the 'old' Orbital.

That being said, once we have technology that allows you to break components down back into their constituent components (i.e. Iron, Gaseous Elements, etc.), if such technology even exists in SN:ROTE, then I'd start scrapping the 'older' Orbitals for raw materials. Otherwise, I'd just leave them out there. <_<

-SK :P

That being said, once we have technology that allows you to break components down back into their constituent components (i.e. Iron, Gaseous Elements, etc.), if such technology even exists in SN:ROTE, then I'd start scrapping the 'older' Orbitals for raw materials. Otherwise, I'd just leave them out there. <_<

-SK :P

Do we have any reason to believe that such tech exists in this game? Did it exist in earlier version of SN? Such a thing would be extremely powerful, eliminating component obsolescence altogether...

As mass to thrust ratios are not a problem and we can't scrap for raw materials why not integrate the old parts with an updated design?

At the very worst the old elements add bulk (hit points) and when hit reduces the chance of more important and modern components being hit.

Sha'thar wonders that, since you don't have to worry about thrust or mass, couldn't you create modular units (engineless 'ships' created with a NUD order), and then simply build it into the fleet containing the bastion? She's already done this as a method to increase fuel tankage to increase SUPP capabilities.

You could create, for instance, an updated electronics module, assign it a non-combat rating so it sits behind the big bastion in combat situations, and then add it to the bastion's fleet?

In may discussions with a friend of mine with more experience with Supernova, it was believed that the only resourse we won't be able to recycle is fuel. But I look forward to discovering the tech that alows us to recycle our ship components..

• 2 weeks later...
The Gosht Khor decided early on to disassemble their land bastion and put the thing in orbit.  Now, as technology advances, they are confronted with updating it.

That's a lot of tonnage to scrap and rebuild.  Sha'thar wonders if there are any other strategies for updating large orbiting bases?

Why would you want to update anything, I wont last long one I find you anyway. :alien2:

Putting it in orbit probably wasn't too good of an idea either.

Sha'thar wonders that, since you don't have to worry about thrust or mass, couldn't you create modular units (engineless 'ships' created with a NUD order), and then simply build it into the fleet containing the bastion? She's already done this as a method to increase fuel tankage to increase SUPP capabilities.

You could create, for instance, an updated electronics module, assign it a non-combat rating so it sits behind the big bastion in combat situations, and then add it to the bastion's fleet?

yes that works. Integrate additional items. Specifies it in the BRIDGE item desciptions.

Why would you want to update anything, I wont last long one I find you anyway. :thumbsup:

Sha'thar blinks at the wording of the message. It confuses the cat. She thought the shrike were a race a dark-feathered birds, not lemmings?

Sha'thar thinks. o O { No... you shant last long once you find me. }

Sorry that "I" was a typo, it was supposed to be "it". It is really hard to type with feathers.

By the way Sha'thar, Test results just came back and your race would be perfect as test subjects for owr new tech's, wepons or otherwise. :lol: