Rolling Thunder Forums

Lost In Space

Ozboym

I have a legendary character in a fleet with no ships, sitting at a warp point. :D

Is it intended that the commanders stay behind when all ships are moved out of a fleet into another? I was expecting everything to be transferred. Shouldn't there be some sort of check that requires characters occupy ships when attached to a fleet?

No, leaders are assumed to have "personal shuttles" that have in-system capability. So, you can AC a character to anywhere in the same system once a turn. I suspect you could also stil move that fleet around (but not WARP) though I've never tried it.

Your understanding of the AC order is contrary to the rulebook. The v250 Orders Supplement clearly states the leader can only be assigned to something that is at the same location, my understanding being a location is an orbital location, not a whole system.

No, you misunderstand. The leader can *move* (AC) anywhere in-system without a fleet or ship to carry him. Your leader is still currently assigned to a fleet, right? Granted, there aren't any ships in the fleet, but it's still a fleet and can contain a character. You can AC this character to another fleet or a army or planet that is in-system. I'd guess you could still move the fleet, but I've not tried it.

No, leaders are assumed to have "personal shuttles" that have in-system capability. So, you can AC a character to anywhere in the same system once a turn. I suspect you could also stil move that fleet around (but not WARP) though I've never tried it.

Your understanding of the AC order is contrary to the rulebook. The v250 Orders Supplement clearly states the leader can only be assigned to something that is at the same location, my understanding being a location is an orbital location, not a whole system.

Yes, that's what the Rulebook says. However, Pete changed it and stated said change in the Turn Notes and on this board a few months back.

Now, you don't have to be co-located to use the AC Order. You just have to be in the same system. However, you can only issue one AC Order per Character per turn.

Yes, you can move an empty shell Fleet with the DECF Order. If you give it the <Home> option it will move the Fleet to your Homeworld with your orphaned LC. :D

Or, you can issue a DECF Order ... 'killing' the Fleet ... and then use the NEWF Order to recreate the Fleet elsewhere, which also moves the LC with it. :lol:

Now that I have stated this on the board, enterprising individuals will probably use it to WARP characters from one end of the Galaxy to the other. Just think about it ... :P

-SK :thumbsup:

Interesting. I hope what your saying about DECF is not true. But if it is:

1) You can DECF a fleet that has an assigned character, and the character will be transported / reassigned to the homeworld, no matter what the distance (ouch). Or they will be assigned to the same fleet ID if recreated anywhere else that turn (double ouch).

Proposed Fix: If you DECF a fleet with an assigned character, they will attach themselves randomly to a fleet or colony in the star system where the fleet is currently located. If this cannot be accomplished, the DECF order fails.

2) You can give an empty fleet with an assigned character the order to go HOME, and the fleet and character will move there no matter the distance.

Proposed Fix: Giving an HOME order to a fleet will fail if there is an assigned character.

I can understand moving characters about in system with no need for co-location. But being able to exploit the operations of DECF in the above manner, if it works that way, is wrong.

PETE -- What do you think???

That's a terrible fix. It still leaves characters attached to shell fleets. If the Legendary Character was transferred along with the last ship in the Fleet, you'd eliminate both problems. :D

How would your fix solve the problem of someone issuing a SCUT and then a DECF?

An error trap check is needed, unless Legendary Characters are supposed to be able to warp from the centre of your empire to anywhere in one turn.

That's a terrible fix.  It still leaves characters attached to shell fleets.  If the Legendary Character was transferred along with the last ship in the Fleet, you'd eliminate both problems.   :P

How would your fix solve the problem of someone issuing a SCUT and then a DECF?

An error trap check is needed, unless Legendary Characters are supposed to be able to warp from the centre of your empire to anywhere in one turn.

Hmmm ...

I agree that there should be some kind of check that enforces a rule of No Characters can be in an empty fleet.

If you don't have any ships in a Fleet, you cannot AC a Character into that Fleet. :D

If you empty a Fleet with an RN Order, all Characters simply transfer to the receiving Fleet. ;)

If you empty a Fleet with a SCRP Order, all Characters simply transfer to the Pop Group's planet. :D

If you empty a Fleet using the SCUT Order, all Characters simply transfer to the Deep Black (e.g. they die).

:oops:

-SK :ph34r:

I don't think it's a terrible fix. But I did say it was an easy fix. It puts the resoponsibility on the player. If you were planning on doing a DECF after all the ships were transferred out, you should have done the AC. If you didn't, and you later want to decom. that fleet, then you need to AC to a planet or if you're in a nexus you need to bring a fleet back to pick up the character.

I don't like the auto AC when the last ship is transferred out because you might be planning on bringing another fleet by later that you then want to AC to.