Rolling Thunder Forums

Diplomats on planets can't DIP?

Paradigm

If I build a population group on a planet where there is a non-player population, and move a diplomat there and assign him to that world, is there any way to conduct diplomacy? It appears that we can only DIP with fleets and how many times per turn (and hence the overall chance of success) is based on that fleet's AP's. This makes no sense to me. Why can't my diplomat walk over (surface transport, atmospheric aircraft, whatever) and talk to the locals? And what does the speed of a ship have to do with how much diplomacy can occur each turn? Isn't it just sitting in orbit?

Each diplomat should be allowed X (one?) attempt(s) per empire per turn and the diplomatic success percentages should be adjusted to match. They should be allowed to talk to anyone in the system whether they be on a fleet, world, etc.

Or did I miss something important?

If I build a population group on a planet where there is a non-player population, and move a diplomat there and assign him to that world, is there any way to conduct diplomacy? It appears that we can only DIP with fleets and how many times per turn (and hence the overall chance of success) is based on that fleet's AP's. This makes no sense to me. Why can't my diplomat walk over (surface transport, atmospheric aircraft, whatever) and talk to the locals? And what does the speed of a ship have to do with how much diplomacy can occur each turn? Isn't it just sitting in orbit?

Each diplomat should be allowed X (one?) attempt(s) per empire per turn and the diplomatic success percentages should be adjusted to match. They should be allowed to talk to anyone in the system whether they be on a fleet, world, etc.

Or did I miss something important?

I don't think you missed anything important. You have it correct as far as the number of DIP orders is tied to the APs of your Fleet.

However, I think you are misunderstanding the nature of Legendary Characters. Characters never execute an Order, only PopGroups, Armies and Fleets do. Characters give bonuses to the outcome of an Order or give random bonuses (in the case of Production and Research).

It's the Fleet that conducts the DIP Order, the Diplomat just enhances the chances for success, not the other way around.

-SK :D

Ah, so I can DIP without a diplomat aboard?

Unfortunately that system is 5 jumps from my HW and the ship that delivered the diplomat is 2 jumps away headed out on a different mission.

I don't think a 1 cargo ship is legal. Minimum of 1,000 tons if I recall correctly. No parts, shipyards or power for them on that little colony I built there anyway (just 4 of my pop).

I was thinking I could drop the diplomat off at my colony there and let him talk to the aliens on the same planet for awhile. Doesn't look like it is going to work.

I still don't think DIP orders should be tied to AP's though.

Couple items...

1. You can diplo from a fleet. You can create an empty fleet at the location.

2. Not sure if the 1000 tons rule actually is in effect. The NUDs can be weird as in making Starships with no engines or allows you to build starships with fuel instead of fuel tankage or Fighters instead of Fighter Bays...

Ah, so I can DIP without a diplomat aboard?

Unfortunately that system is 5 jumps from my HW and the ship that delivered the diplomat is 2 jumps away headed out on a different mission.

I don't think a 1 cargo ship is legal. Minimum of 1,000 tons if I recall correctly. No parts, shipyards or power for them on that little colony I built there anyway (just 4 of my pop).

I was thinking I could drop the diplomat off at my colony there and let him talk to the aliens on the same planet for awhile. Doesn't look like it is going to work.

I still don't think DIP orders should be tied to AP's though.

You could build a 1000-ton ship that is just a Jump-Drive and Engines, should give you a bunch of APs. :D

You only need to have a Diplomat for PC Empire-to-PC Empire diplomatic relations.

-SK :P

According to a mail I got from Pete, he looked in the code and could not find anything that would is enforce the 1000 ton minimum size for ships. I wrote to Pete and asked him as I knew of several players that have designed and built 500 ton ships.

On the other hand, I believe Pete has added this to his list of things to do. Heck, it may have already been fixed. I stayed true the rule just in case and designed my GNAT style ship in a 1000 tons (jump engine, 200 fuel tanks, several engines to max the AP, and filled the rest with Cargo Bays). Such puny ships are great for sending through warp points before the rest of a fleet.

I have some 600 ton ships running around, some even smaller :D But then I also have overcrowded Drone/Fighter bays (Ie WAY more fighters and drones that should fit in) and such so apparently we can't count in the GGT...

/Locklyn