Rolling Thunder Forums

Who is .. The Bashkar Empire

WKE235

Alien Fleet Sighting : Warp Point # 49006 [in-system move by empire # 2744]

BSH The Bashkar Empire # 2744 'A Black Hole'

1st Explorers

2 EX E3 (Explorer - 65,300 tons)

SO, who is the Bashkar empire that my Apshai have run into. And why in the heck does every player I seem to meet NOT have their name and address in the contact list. I'm beginning to think there are a lot of anti-social people in this game. :unsure:

Dropped?  So, the [in-system move by empire # 2744] of the fleet was by the computer AI?  That would be interesting.

Why is it that you are the one to attract all the strange Empires?

Why is it so few players talk about the contacts they must be having. Sure there have been a few here and there (like MM's MindSphere and a few other odds and ends contacts and first battles). But discussions about these contacts seems prettry low.

As for my contact with every silent NSI with Concordium, and now Bashkar with the Apshai ... I can only think I run into these empires because I'm "Just Lucky" :) !

I'll have to contact D.Anderson to see if this was his and he dropped. Based on my past experience I should be running into a second player in another 2-4 turns, so I want to make sure this one is cleared up.

• 3 months later...

Everyone will be glad to know that the BSH The Bashkar Empire # 2744 'A Black Hole', which had been dropped by Darrien Anderson in the past, has been picked up. Norm Fraley (who posts under Phoenix Arisen) stepped in and took over the empire.

Of course, exactly when Norm took over the spot is not known (before or after the initial contact with the Apshai). Also disturbing is the lack of contact from Norm and the Bashkar until this turn, where we just learned the empire is active (and those explorations by ships on past turns were NOT the game AI). No contact despite this post being on the board and Apshai scanned systems clearly in the galactic directory.

But hey, a neighbor is a neighbor.

Of course, Phoenix Arisen did post this once some time ago for their alliance:

We believe that a perfect union is one where the members share our point of view.

We stand for our way of life and the rule of Justice, not law.

We believe that the way to galactic tranquility is through the elimination of sources of dis-ease.

We shall strictly and enthusiastically defend all territories and borders from those who do not share our beliefs.

We shall promote the welfare of our constituents through research support and open trade.

We ensure the liberty of the beings within our 517 system sphere of control through an active and aggressive expansion of our buffer zones.

We adhere to the logic of strength and the wisdom of Sun Tzu.

We tolerate no deceit.

Should an empire encroach upon our borders we shall let them know

I really like the last two. Yep. Really nice. And I'm not saying anything here. No, really, trust me.....

So Norm picked up Darrin's old position? I thought Pete and Russ stated that it RollingThunders policy that only the origional owner could restart a dropped empire? If we can now buy and trade empires like monopoly this game is now somewhat less exiting, since I have no dropped neutrals to buy.

Lord SaHeru

Some notes on our policy...

1) A dropped position may be picked up by the former owner at any time.

2) A position may be transferred by the current owner either in lieu of dropping the position or at the time the position is dropped.

Those are the basics. We adjudicate any special circumstances/requests that may come up from time to time and we work to prevent obvious abuse. We do our best to ensure that pickups and transfers will actually be run by the new owner. Active positions are generally better for the game than inactive ones but positions are never handed out simply to anyone who requests them and we are always alert to the possibility of game abuse when a position does change hands. We keep track of such activities and we tend to keep our eye on such positions more so than normal (Pete and I have about 20 years each on the business side of PBM so we've seen more tricks than we care to discuss in public - no sense giving folks ideas :lol: ).

Once a position has been inactive for a period of time the former owner must be involved for the position to become active once again. There is no rule prohibiting a position from reactivating once there is contact with another empire so it should never be assumed that a position that is currently inactive will remain so – the former owner could come back at any time, etc.

We do not confirm whether or not a position is active except in special situations (inquiry by original owner for example) and we do not automatically allow reactivations and/or transfers. We evaluate every situation and do what we think is best.

Russ

"There is no rule prohibiting a position from reactivating once there is contact with another empire so it should never be assumed that a position that is currently inactive will remain so – the former owner could come back at any time, etc."

Yes, that one got me. Like Lord SaHeru I for some reason thought it was otherwise. Oh well, live and learn (the hard way). :lol:

Of course, this means that for anyone to be safe, if you encounter a dropped empire or one you are pretty sure is dropped, you need to take measures to ensure you won't be surprised. And since the AI can move ships around and explore, the only certain way is to build protected way points or hunt the dropped position ships down. :drunk:

That just leaves Norm. Hopefully he'll be willing to take me up on offers of trade and friendship. His two one sentance replies to my long missives do have me scratching my head. But we'll see. :ph34r:

And why in the heck does every player I seem to meet NOT have their name and address in the contact list. I'm beginning to think there are a lot of anti-social people in this game. :ph34r:

:drunk:

That's a little harsh.....

I've put PRIV active on my empires because I wanted to role-play just a little bit....

There's no easy way to change the e-mail address for each empire, it comes off the main account (which is why I don't currently use the MESS order)....

But then I am a social and diplomatic chap and would be trying contact back the other way, so I wouldn't be ignoring your attempts at communications.

Anyone that stays totally silent really cannot complain too much if his new neighbour becomes an adversary....... :blink:

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric