Rolling Thunder Forums

Transwarp, strategies and tactics

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
How do THEY affect combat, rather. :rolleyes:

Sha'thar wonders if anyone has observations, theories or experience with transwarp drives, in situations of combat? Do enemy fleets in systems quickly passed through have a chance to react to transwarp-equipped ships?

Discussing the capabilities of advanced technology openly on the board will only lead to everybody wanting said technology and will result in a bunch of cookie-cutter empires. Maybe discussions of this sort are better suited for private emails.

Pretend your NTWDs are nothing more than big jump drives......they only affect your overall tonnage which in turn could affect maneuverability (ie just build more engines to compensate for their bulk)

But do NTWDs give you some major uber advantage in combat?

Not a darn thing :rolleyes:

But they help you get to the front faster! :taz:

But they help you get to the front faster!

Ahhh, but if you could built NTW Jump ships that tow/carry your battle ships to the front line, so the battle fleets wouldn't need the NTWD........ :drunk:

Bah! The whole skimming on NTWDs into the design to increase maneuvarability is overrated :cheers:

Unless you are strapped for approximately:

168 Mk II Fusion Engines

and the 1,247 Fuel Tankage

(Presuming you want an AP ship of say...8 WITH a NTWD on board that will travel a warp path of 2 D's, 2 C's, 2 B's and and A)

Now compare that to the cost of developing and building your tow ships. :cheers:

Translation: I'm too darn lazy to build little supplement ships that will 'haul' around my warships.....provided I can afford to keep the APs on my warships high....which, on my scale of happiness and efficiency, isn't very tough to accomplish. :drunk: With that said, super large fleets do require supplemental fuel tankage....but....I digress....I don't want to divulge my ULTIMATE DOUBLE SECRET Ship Design Strategies just yet! :lol:

I don't think you can "tow" anything through a Warp Point, nor can you "piggy-back" non-Transwarp vessels with a Transwarp vessel and gain the multi-jump advantage of the Transwarp Drive.

Accordingly, the advantage of Transwarp Drives is a strategic one not a tactical one. Transwarp ships can get from System A to System B to System C, etc. in one turn if they have enough APs to do so. For combat purposes, they're just a horking big Jump Drive.

Will Transwarp Drive ships 'blow past' your defense fleets? Only if your Defense Fleets don't detect them. Right now, our detection capabilities seem to be based on co-location. Fleets don't 'move' to intercept from one Warp Point to another or from planetary orbits to Warp Points. If your Defense Fleet is at the Warp Point where the Transwarp Attack Fleet comes out of warp, you will probably engage one another. If the Attack Fleet is trying to fly through the system, you'll have a second shot at the other Warp Point when the Attack Fleet tries to leave. Again, there will only be a fight if both fleets are co-located.

On a side note, from a ship design perspective is Warp Bubble Size. The smaller the bubble the more ships you can shove through a Warp Point at a time up to the Warp Point ship maximum. If the Warp Point has a size of 22, it will allow ships with a Warp Bubble of 12 or more through, one at a time. It will allow ships with a Warp Bubble of 11 through, two at a time. Warp Bubble of 2? Eleven ships at a time. Up to a maximum 22 ships with a Warp Bubble of 1 can be let through.

No matter how big your fleet is, if you're coming through one at a time, the defender gets to concentrate his firepower on a single target while your ship has multiple targets to choose from.

YMMV

-SK :drunk:

Mr DWillard,

Can you explain a bit more on your position? Does this mean that sharing information at all on this forum is undesired from your point of view? Or does it only apply to certain technologies?

That all empires want some type of Trans Warp technology should not be surprising, especially looking at previous discussions (when nobody knew it was around) on how annoying it was that you could only warp 1 system at a time.

I am just interested to find out what happens in combat situations, maybe I am just curious.

Kind regards,

On a side note, from a ship design perspective is Warp Bubble Size. The smaller the bubble the more ships you can shove through a Warp Point at a time up to the Warp Point ship maximum. If the Warp Point has a size of 22, it will allow ships with a Warp Bubble of 12 or more through, one at a time. It will allow ships with a Warp Bubble of 11 through, two at a time. Warp Bubble of 2? Eleven ships at a time. Up to a maximum 22 ships with a Warp Bubble of 1 can be let through.

Do we positively know that a fractional Warp Bubble isn't possible? :drunk:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Hehe

All kidding aside :drunk:

What prevents this game from turning into:

One Massive Mega-Ship v. another Massive Mega-Ship?

Riddle me that :lol:

I have me own answer - and it involves the inconvenience of protecting more than one front....

Translation: Stay away from 2 front wars and your ship design issues beome a whole lot easier.

On a side note, from a ship design perspective is Warp Bubble Size.  The smaller the bubble the more ships you can shove through a Warp Point at a time up to the Warp Point ship maximum.  If the Warp Point has a size of 22, it will allow ships with a Warp Bubble of 12 or more through, one at a time.  It will allow ships with a Warp Bubble of 11 through, two at a time.  Warp Bubble of 2?  Eleven ships at a time.  Up to a maximum 22 ships with a Warp Bubble of 1 can be let through.

Do we positively know that a fractional Warp Bubble isn't possible? :cheers:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

Not to sound snide, but I can't say that I know anything in this game definitely. As I have yet to find a hostile neighbor that would require fleet actions, I haven't seen a battle report that shows multiple ships transitting a Warp Point. :cheers:

I was merely synthesizing what has been said on these boards in the past. Sorry. :drunk: