Rolling Thunder Forums

No Diplomats?

A senario:

Let's say you run an empire that decided to do that spiffy new Revolution order when it was first introduced since you had botched your initial political set-up back before the character rules were updated. That means your top leader was beheaded and a new leader crowned. You lost a Diplomat since that is the default character type.

Now some turns later you bump into a nice friendly face and want to cement your budding relationship with a PAP. Looking down your character list that is nearly or perhaps slightly over a page long, you realize to your horror that there is not a single Diplomat in your roster. Given the Diplomat colocation aspect of PAPs, it looks like you could be screwed for the time being, unable to broker a deal.

Shame on you? Or should the political system have more options?

It would make sense that any leader of an empire should have some innate Diplomacy skill since as leader of the Empire his ability to make agreements is inherent in his position. On the other hand, if you execute an order whose consequences you did not consider then you have to view it as either a learning experence or a screw up or both. Of course I am only a couple of turns into this game but I have already had several learning experiences.

(I know that there are lots of unknown consequences in SN ROTE due to holes in the rules but I dont think this scenario falls into that category.)

I'd have to dig through the board archives, but I believe that the Honorable Ur-Lord is correct in saying that whomever is your Supreme Leader can also function as a Diplomat with regard to Interstellar Diplomacy. Of course, I have only used actual Diplomat class LCs, so I have no proof that this is the case.

-SK :rolleyes:

I'd have to dig through the board archives, but I believe that the Honorable Ur-Lord is correct in saying that whomever is your Supreme Leader can also function as a Diplomat with regard to Interstellar Diplomacy. Of course, I have only used actual Diplomat class LCs, so I have no proof that this is the case.

-SK :cheers:

:lol:

Actually, our esteemed leader was alluding to something else......

You probably don't need to move the leader/diplomat at all! Just try the order and see if it works........ :rolleyes:

Lord High Seneschal to Ur-Lord Tedric

I'd have to dig through the board archives, but I believe that the Honorable Ur-Lord is correct in saying that whomever is your Supreme Leader can also function as a Diplomat with regard to Interstellar Diplomacy.  Of course, I have only used actual Diplomat class LCs, so I have no proof that this is the case.

-SK  :ph34r:

You probably don't need to move the leader/diplomat at all! Just try the order and see if it works........ :cheers:

If you are inferring that any LC will do ...

:rolleyes: <--- This is what I get for reading the Rules ...

I'd have to dig through the board archives, but I believe that the Honorable Ur-Lord is correct in saying that whomever is your Supreme Leader can also function as a Diplomat with regard to Interstellar Diplomacy.  Of course, I have only used actual Diplomat class LCs, so I have no proof that this is the case.

-SK  :ph34r:

You probably don't need to move the leader/diplomat at all! Just try the order and see if it works........ :(

If you are inferring that any LC will do ...

:cheers: <--- This is what I get for reading the Rules ...

No, I think the PAP is working now precisely as the Powers That Be intended it too.....

If you have actually met the empire in question, you should be able to execute the PAP order, with, or without, the presence of any Characters....

Lord High Senescal to Ur-Lord Tedric

PS - this is, however, the perfect time to re-ask for a permanent listing of empire relationships, perhaps two-way - or an order to find it out (like the TREE order) - or perhaps making use of the Empire Table in the database (mdb file), so we could see it purselves?????

Really? I will be extremely upset, if I waited (wasted) many turns to get Diplomats to meet in the same location when I didn't need to. Here's the quote from the Rules Addenda Post:

PAP (Political Action Proposal)

You can set any level of alliance you like with this order, which is used primarily to allow for complex Rules of Engagement fleet settings. You must have a diplomat-class Legendary Character located at the same place as a diplomat of the target empire (either on the same world or with co-located fleets). The level of alliance you choose is one-way: that is, you can indicated that you treat the other empire as an “alliance”, but he could do a PAP order and set a relationship with your empire as a “trade pact”. Both parties do not need to issue PAP orders at the same time. One could issue a PAP and the other does not ever have to reciprocate.

PAP, [Empire #], [Agreement]

Seems pretty clear to me. :cheers:

-SK :(