Rolling Thunder Forums

Warp Point Info

Prospective

I understand the whold thing about warp point classes. However, what I'm not clear on is the warp point size. What practical difference is there between a size 7 warp point and a size 30? Exactly how many more ships can fit through at a time? Is it based off tonnage, in that x tons can traverse a WP in a size y WP, but x+1 can fit through a y+1 size WP?

Please clarify the importance of WP size?

Also, is there any relation to classification? Is a type F warp point normally larger than a type A? Or are the two values independant of each other?

Thx.

The size relates to how many ships can fit through at a time. The larger the number the more ships can come through. This also depends on how big your warp bubble is so....

A pathfinder has a warp bubble of 12 - If your warp point has a size of 24 then 2 pathfinders should be able to hop through at the same instant. If instead you reduced the warp bubble size to 1 by adding more jump drives then you could dump 24 through the AP a ta a time.

For a really big ship the warp bubble could easily be 3000+ and will likely go through the warp bubble solo unless you add more jump drives to the design. In any event you will always be able to get any ship of any size through any WP of any size. It will only matter in WP assaults as the timely combat results have demonstrated to us all.

Generally speaking the lower the WP type the larger the WP size. Most of the higher WP types F,G,H,I that I have seen have very small WP sizes relative to lower WP's. That will generally make it a bit easier to defend a G WP than it will be to defend an A.

Clear as Mud????

:D

Hobknob is essentially correct.

WP size is the sum total of Warp Bubbles that can transition through a Warp Point at a time. Since the smallest Warp Bubble is 1, the WP size is also the maximum number of ships that can transition through the Warp Point at a time. The thing to remember is that no matter what the size of the Warp Bubble of the ship or the WP size, fleets can always go through one ship at a time.

-Sk :D

So, to sum up:

Every jump capable ship has a "warp bubble" number. The more jump engines that are installed, the smaller the number will be. The number can not fall below 1.

The size of the warp point (on the destination side) determines how many ships can appear at the destination system simultaneously.

For example, if you have 20 ships, all with a warp bubble of 1, AND the destination warp point has a size of 20, then all 20 ships WILL appear at the same time. However, if each of the 20 ships had a warp bubble of 2, only 10 ships could appear simultaneously.

If true, then it appears that from a defensive standpoint, it's best to have small warp points coming into your systems, correct?

Now I've assumed that if I want to go from PlaceOne (WP size40) to PlaceTwo then it is the WP Size of the WP in PlaceOne leading to PlaceTwo that determines the no of ships...was this incorrect?

Cheers

/Locklyn

There is a definite trend with warp point Class, Size, and Orbital Distance. Class A warp points are the largest and farthest from the star. Higher class warp points are progressively smaller and closer to the star.

Each class covers a range of sizes and orbital distances. Class A’s have the widest range in values.

Now I've assumed that if I want to go from PlaceOne (WP size40) to PlaceTwo then it is the WP Size of the WP in PlaceOne leading to PlaceTwo that determines the no of ships...was this incorrect?

Cheers

/Locklyn

Nope - That is correct....

It's the incoming WP from where ever it came from that determines how many 'bubbles' can appear at the WP you are sat at....

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

So, to sum up:

Every jump capable ship has a "warp bubble" number.  The more jump engines that are installed, the smaller the number will be.  The number can not fall below 1.

The size of the warp point (on the destination side) determines how many ships can appear at the destination system simultaneously.

For example, if you have 20 ships, all with a warp bubble of 1, AND the destination warp point has a size of 20, then all 20 ships WILL appear at the same time.  However, if each of the 20 ships had a warp bubble of 2, only 10 ships could appear simultaneously.

If true, then it appears that from a defensive standpoint, it's best to have small warp points coming into your systems, correct?

A Very good generalization, a couple of notes to add to them:

Warp point tranition only realy matters during a Warp Point Assualt

Ships with any size warp bubble can pass through any warp point one at a time.

Sounds like you got this one down