Rolling Thunder Forums

Imperial vs Non-Imperial

Prospective

Hi all,

More installation questions. I noticed that there are Science Centers, then Imperial Science Centers that can be built. Same for Science Labs, Outposts, Stations and Institutes. Each comes in an "Imperial" and a regular version.

I'll bet you can guess my quesitons:

1) What is the difference between the two versions?

2) Does it improve chances of "successes" to build and Imperial and a non-Imperial version of the same installation? The descriptions state only 1 per system is beneficial, but why have an Imperial and a non-Imperial version if they are redundant?

3) If I build at the small end of the scale (Outpost at 500CM) then at the high end of the scale (Institute at 10,000CM) in the same system, am I wasting the 500 CM? In other words, is the chance of a breakthrough based only on the most advanced science installation in a system? Is having "smaller" facilities redundant and unnecessary? OR, does having an outpost, a center, a lab, a station and an Institute have additive effects?

4) Would the liklihood of a "success" be improved if I dropped a colony beacon onto the most inhospitable world in my system, then put a science installation there (rather than on the HW)? It does say that "Imperial Science facilities are best constructed on unusual alien worlds"....

Thanks.

Hi all,

More installation questions. I noticed that there are Science Centers, then Imperial Science Centers that can be built. Same for Science Labs, Outposts, Stations and Institutes. Each comes in an "Imperial" and a regular version.

I'll bet you can guess my quesitons:

Thanks.

My best guesses! :huh:

1)  What is the difference between the two versions?

Apparently nothing

2)  Does it improve chances of "successes" to build and Imperial and a non-Imperial version of the same installation?  The descriptions state only 1 per system is beneficial, but why have an Imperial and a non-Imperial version if they are redundant?

Yes, so we have been told, build all 10 for maximum effect

3)  If I build at the small end of the scale (Outpost at 500CM) then at the high end of the scale (Institute at 10,000CM) in the same system, am I wasting the 500 CM?  In other words, is the chance of a breakthrough based only on the most advanced science installation in a system?  Is having "smaller" facilities redundant and unnecessary?  OR, does having an outpost, a center, a lab, a station and an Institute have additive effects?

No, all are supposed to help

4)  Would the liklihood of a "success" be improved if I dropped a colony beacon onto the most inhospitable world in my system, then put a science installation there (rather than on the HW)?    It does say that "Imperial Science facilities are best constructed on unusual alien worlds"....

Yes, this is apparently the best thing to do - and even build all the science installations there - although that will probably give you some attrition problems.

We can't give total assurance. We have done this ourselves and we do get breakthroughs - some of them with significant numbers of 'points' - and our scientists aren't yet that experienced!

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

You can drop your legendary character on a Gas Giant and nothing will happen to him. Wish the rest of our race was as sturdy as those fellas :huh:

:drunk:

/Locklyn

Legendary characters, in a game mechanical sense, don't count when it comes to attrition. They are single beings, while 1 unit of Population actually represents many beings. And even on really awful worlds, if the amount of Population present is small enough, no one dies, because of numerical round off (i.e. 0.48 units of Pop Attrition = no Attrition).

Speaking of defusing the bombs at the last minute, I can't wait until Agents get truly intergrated into the game. Right now my Homeworld seems more like the Mad magazine cartoon Spy-vs-Spy ...

-SK :huh:

Your characters must travel from one star system to another on a fleet. You can then AC the character to any location in that star system. They have personal yachts that take them anywhere they want to go, except through a warp point.

You AC a character to a world, not to a pop group. Their personal yacht also includes all the camping equipment you could ever ask for, so no pop group is necessary. As someone else mentioned, they can even survive on a Gas Giant.