Rolling Thunder Forums

ATC through friendly provinces

Hamish

Russ,

What are the rules for an Advance-To-Contact through friendly provinces? What happens if I do an ATC through a TA province, and fail to conquer the target province? Do I go back to the province where I started from, or does my army surrender?

Nils

Nils,

You can do an ATC through a province of a TA, but you do not have a valid retreat location. If you are attacked after this move, you will surrender, because of the lack of a retreat location.

I do not know what happens if you can not win the attack, but I think you also surrender for the same reason as above.

Norbert

What are the rules for an Advance-To-Contact through friendly provinces? What happens if I do an ATC through a TA province, and fail to conquer the target province? Do I go back to the province where I started from, or does my army surrender?

You can ATC through the territory of a TA without any problem as long as you have sufficient fuel, SMR, etc.

If the ATC is repulsed then your force will be bounced back to the last legal location it was at prior to the attack. Since TA territory is not a legal location for your force to exist at - it will continue to move back until it reaches a legal location which can be as far as the force's start location.

The other point made is quite valid as well. If your attack succeeds you will occupy the target province but your retreat location (TA territory) would not be a valid one. You would have to either DMOG a valid retreat location after the OMG, ATC or take the chance of losing the force on a subsequent attack by an enemy force.

Russ

Hi Nils,

Just a nice feature to add: Of course, you can ATC into an own province. The unit simply moves into "your" province. You also can do the following (example: Madona is enemy - no LDB and nothing in it, your unit is in xRiga - Vilna is yours):

OMG 50 ATC NO Madona Vilna

The effect will be, that you conquer Madona with no reports for your enemy. AND... your unit is in Vilna then, a spot quite difficult to find out for your enemy. B)

Peter