Rolling Thunder Forums

WP Surveying

Prospective

Hi again, I seem to be full of questions as I sit here at work with everyone out of the office and me working on my turn.

This question is with respect to warp surveying. An "E" warp point has a difficulty of 120 and the ship I send to explore it has a survey rating of 108. If I do a SURV at that "E" WP, do I have a certain percent chance to get a successful SURVey? Or, since I don't have the required 120 points, I get 0% chance to successfully SURV it? Any insight would be helpful.

Obviously in a close situation like this, I could always assign a scientist or explorer and overcome that threshold. But the same question holds true for an "F" or a "G", etc. Will I always have a certain % chance to succeed, or is it essentially 0% if I don't have enough sensors.

Thanks again. More to follow most likely.

Class E warp points don't have a difficulty rating of exactly 120, they have rating that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 120.

If you don't successfully survey it on the first attempt, it doesn't seem to do any good to keep trying. You have to add more sensors to the fleet, or add better characters to the fleet in order to survey that warp point.

I don’t think a random modifier is applied to the SURV command. I think that each warp point has a random difficulty rating (number). And your fleet either has a higher rating or not. Each difficulty class (letter) covers a range of difficulty ratings (numbers).

You don’t know if a Mk I Survey fleet can crack a C class warp point until you try it, but its guaranteed for A and B. You don’t know if a Mk II Survey fleet can crack a D class warp point until you try it, but its guaranteed for A, B, and C. Etc.

You also don’t know the exact rating of your fleet unless it only includes 1 warp survey sensor. Multiple sensors give diminishing returns, but the exact formula is a secret. Mass data analysis may have helped some of the player groups to arrive at a guess for this formula. But since we don’t have any way of knowing the exact numerical difficulty rating for the warp points, I don’t think the exact formula can really be determined.

Ok, my brain must be working regarding this one. It appears that it's a case of yes you are successful or no you aren't, and that re-SURVing the same WP with the same fleet is pointless. Thanks for the data, you could have saved me a couple of attempts at re-SURVing... :holiday:

Steve

Warp difficulties are a threshold. If your Jump Sensor Rating is not higher than the Warp class difficulty (after modifiers from characters and science facilities) then you will not be able to survey the warp point. Everything else that Slith said is correct. I agree with everything Slith said.

Ok, my brain must be working regarding this one. It appears that it's a case of yes you are successful or no you aren't, and that re-SURVing the same WP with the same fleet is pointless. Thanks for the data, you could have saved me a couple of attempts at re-SURVing...

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the outcome to be different the second time. However if something changes, like you add a higher level character or a different type or better sensors or you build science facilities in the system then retry again. You may get a more positive result. :holiday:

:holiday:

Simple to do for WP busting...

Design a ship that has at least the following items:

- (5) Mk IV JSS

- (2) type B Science labs (or better)

- (2) Survey Landers

Also it helps if you have both a explorer, and scientist character also assigned to that same fleet.

Do this and you will be able to bust most WPs!!!

:pirate2:

Partial thread highjacking.

Recent Warp Survey result revealed a ship size 1 class E WP. Anyone else with such an unusual WP size? Or is this not all that unusual? I would have suspected a low ship size number at a more challenging WP, like a G.

Octus Imperium

Well, not a serious hi-jacking :cheers:

Very small size (<10) can be found with any class, but higher class small ones are more common. It's these that tend to be one-ways - but not always.....

Chief Cartographer to Ur-Lord Tedric

Recent Warp Survey result revealed a ship size 1 class E WP. Anyone else with such an unusual WP size? Or is this not all that unusual? I would have suspected a low ship size number at a more challenging WP, like a G.

The Bush Administration has also come across a Warp Point Size of 1 for a Class E. The next lowest Warp Point Size discovered by us is 15, also for a Class E.

We ran across a class D, tunnel size 1 WP a while back.  There was a lot of "I've got a baaad feeling about this" before that jump.  But there was no real choice, an Emon's got to do what an Emon's got to do.  (It was a one-way warp, of course.)

You have confirmed a suspicion. Thanks! But maybe I'll sent a Mk IV JSS through anyway.....

Octus