Rolling Thunder Forums

Cloaking devices

I was thinking a while about cloaks and how it was canned from 'ships' and limited to ground installations. I came up with an idea that could allow cloaks on ships and still not unbalance things and might even be able to worked into the code without too much trouble.

It went like this.

Insert code that would require an actual order to 'cloak' the ship or fleet if all ships had cloaks. The ship would remain in cloak until the uncloak order was issued.

When I ship uncloaks it will require a whole turn before they will be able to perfrom any offensive actions (abit like the GATK order).

This would be pretty kewl to have a fleet of alien ships uncloak in orbit about the target planet but have to wait for thier systems to come back online giving the defender time ( not a whole lot though) to get some reinforcements to the area. :ranting:

thoughts comments additions?

Yep, an attacker would think that's great. Those on the receiving end though? - Lemme think (for about a nano-second) about that..... :ranting:

That would be one serious aggressor tool though, no question about that! B)

Yup.. and thats what cloaks were all about no? a First strike weapon yes? but the defender has options as well. The cloak should still be able to be 'seen' through if sufficient levels arent researched and there are items out there that were designed to do just that. I just want to see cloaks used as they were invisioned by RTG. not as some installation that while defintely useful by no means comes close to what was originally planned. adding a time restriction for action just like when a player wants to launch a ground invasion seems like a good idea and makes the use of cloaking devices more interesting.

Yep, an attacker would think that's great. Those on the receiving end though? - Lemme think (for about a nano-second) about that..... :ranting:

That would be one serious aggressor tool though, no question about that! B)

Yup.. and thats what cloaks were all about no? a First strike weapon yes? but the defender has options as well. The cloak should still be able to be 'seen' through if sufficient levels arent researched and there are items out there that were designed to do just that. I just want to see cloaks used as they were invisioned by RTG. not as some installation that while defintely useful by no means comes close to what was originally planned. adding a time restriction for action just like when a player wants to launch a ground invasion seems like a good idea and makes the use of cloaking devices more interesting.

I like the idea that you can turn the cloak on and off, instead of just hiding it could be that the ships are phasing out of reality and phasing back etc. The cloaked ship then shouldnt be able to see other ships or interact with anything when cloaked (limited to NM, MOVE and WARP orders)

you could then also use it defensively, nothing like someone scouting a homeworld, sending a fleet to attack and then the defender uncloaks some uber ships to pound the attacker. Or you can keep your defense ships safe till the cavalry arrives?

Is the problem though with cloaking being that the system cannot prevent the sighting of ships?

• 7 years later...

I like the idea of cloaks, but they will never work on war ships and should not allow troop transports to sneak in and drop troops. Beyond that I would really like to see cloaked WP pickets.

However, when I built cloaked ships all those years ago they never worked. A cloaked ship was always seen by any other fleet around and that made them pretty useless and they were pulled. Most likely it is a coding issue so we will never see them.

There are other things to wish for that are more likely to happen.

:cheers: