Rolling Thunder Forums

Calling Old Players

Guest Spongebob

Guest Spongebob

Not sure if any of these people are still playing. Now most people know of my fondness for little old Denmark so I would like to contact one of the top 10 best Denmark. Compare notes so to speak so.... Calling John Pollock, Dob Sobkoviak, William O'Dell, Tony Ernest, David Thompson, Sanche Llewellyn, Lane C. Freiberger, Ted Folz, Andy Brogan. Anyone want to tell me how best to survive as Denmark?

Not sure if any of these people are still playing. Now most people know of my fondness for little old Denmark so I would like to contact one of the top 10 best Denmark. Compare notes so to speak so.... Calling John Pollock, Dob Sobkoviak, William O'Dell, Tony Ernest, David Thompson, Sanche Llewellyn, Lane C. Freiberger, Ted Folz, Andy Brogan. Anyone want to tell me how best to survive as Denmark?

I think William O'Dell did it by killing Germany and then everyone else in his path LOL. If I remember correctly, Norway and Sweden were at war in that game early on and kind of annhilated each other. He has at war with Germany, Lowlands and Great Britian. Can't say for sure on the others, haven't seen Don or Andy in a game in years do they still play?

Race Pilsner

Guest Spongebob

Thats the crux of the question, are they still around and what was it in those early turns that allowed them to survive. Its been a while since Denmark got anywhere, even St M, an experienced player has had Denmark twice and come a cropper with them, admitedly later than me :python: but still a cropper.

It's Don Sobkoviak. I was France to help support him. Switzerland was our teammate early. He sat back and came in and mopped up. Germany was occupied in the south. Don just walked in. Norway/Sweden were busy with Finland/Northern. We later realized England had dropped early. Many players dropped in that game, so it made the going easier. There was a huge fight against Poland/Rumania. Turkey/Saudi took the southeast and moved north crushing Switzerland. Don and I did what we could, but we are not equal to Sitse and Desert Camel.

Don is playing Southern 83 and Yugo 86 right now. He doesn't read the board unless I prompt him to.

Andy Brogan was on the winning alliance in 78 , and played to the end , if I am not mistaken . I am positive that he is still active . Ask Predator , I believe they know each other well .

Isn't Andy the Brogan playing Turkey 86?

• 3 weeks later...
Thats the crux of the question, are they still around and what was it in those early turns that allowed them to survive. Its been a while since Denmark got anywhere, even St M, an experienced player has had Denmark twice and come a cropper with them, admitedly later than me :thumbsup: but still a cropper.

Denmark is vulnerable in many ways, right Tom? :) It makes diplomacy important. Also, Denmark has basically one initial target; Germany. If Germany and Denmark start out as TA, then Denmark has just put itself in a difficult quandary: How to expand without bankrupting the treasury on too many grey painted ships. Not saying it's impossible, just harder. You must like a challange if you want Denmark so often.

Race Pilsner

Spongebob, I am still around, Denmark Game 29, which held the Best Denmark title for 10 years. That was my very first Victory game and I did have a bad start. I had an ally in Baltic States but he was not close enough to help me. As Race said, Norway and Sweden were slugging it out so my North was safe for the first 20 turns. I was attacked by Great Britain and Lowlands by air and sea early on. They both CB'ed xAlborg to rubble and Pearl Harbored all my AK and AO ships in xCopenhagan and xAlborg. This was in the days before the special rail links between the islands when you had to supply your Captitol by sea only. I was screwed. But they didn't destroy my Navy which was pretty good (American Tech) or my SBD's and I was able to do a lot of damage to their fleets at SKA1 which were depleted of Munitions after the CB. Another saving grace was nearly everyone was attacking Germany so he had no time or resources to deal with me exclusively. So I was able to move into German territory with only static units to destroy at xHamburg. In the plains of Hamburg I made my stand against Lowlands in the only case I've had where landfront fortifications ever paid off for me. He never tried to go around but kept hurling himself against the HAMBURGER WALL. What clinched the fight was I managed to Airborne Assault a Regimental Airborne unit into his main airbase at xArnhem and captured all of his bombers and he and his ally Great Britain had a personal fight and they both dropped. With Germany, Lowlands and Great Britain out by turn 25 I was able to grab the spoils of those nations and spread out from there. I guess you can say I just got lucky. So there you have it, the key to winning as Denmark is LUCK.

Hope that helps,

DOCTOR STRANGEMIND

Spongebob, I am still around, Denmark Game 29, which held the Best Denmark title for 10 years. That was my very first Victory game and I did have a bad start. I had an ally in Baltic States but he was not close enough to help me. As Race said, Norway and Sweden were slugging it out so my North was safe for the first 20 turns. I was attacked by Great Britain and Lowlands by air and sea early on. They both CB'ed xAlborg to rubble and Pearl Harbored all my AK and AO ships in xCopenhagan and xAlborg. This was in the days before the special rail links between the islands when you had to supply your Captitol by sea only. I was screwed. But they didn't destroy my Navy which was pretty good (American Tech) or my SBD's and I was able to do a lot of damage to their fleets at SKA1 which were depleted of Munitions after the CB. Another saving grace was nearly everyone was attacking Germany so he had no time or resources to deal with me exclusively. So I was able to move into German territory with only static units to destroy at xHamburg. In the plains of Hamburg I made my stand against Lowlands in the only case I've had where landfront fortifications ever paid off for me. He never tried to go around but kept hurling himself against the HAMBURGER WALL. What clinched the fight was I managed to Airborne Assault a Regimental Airborne unit into his main airbase at xArnhem and captured all of his bombers and he and his ally Great Britain had a personal fight and they both dropped. With Germany, Lowlands and Great Britain out by turn 25 I was able to grab the spoils of those nations and spread out from there. I guess you can say I just got lucky. So there you have it, the key to winning as Denmark is LUCK.

Hope that helps,

DOCTOR STRANGEMIND

And now you are in Sweden, which is a far superior country because unlike all other nations Sweden is the only one that contains Eden. :rolleyes:

Race

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Andy Brogan was on the winning alliance in 78 , and played to the end , if I am not mistaken . I am positive that he is still active . Ask Predator , I believe they know each other well .

Hey all, yes I am still alive and active. I am still playing in games 82 and 86. As for Denmark...

Game 73, I went into it with an alliance consisting of Germany, Switzerland, and Lowlands. So I aided Germany by him ceding me areas, and I could attack Poland/Chech and I was basically protected as long as Germany lived which he did.

Game 69, I was Lowlands and Ted was Denmark, I also started with GB as a TA and picked up Ireland and Iceland at the start. Ted and I fought Germany and France with help from some non TAs. We evetually ran into a much stonger alliance late in the game, but we survived until the end.

Personally, I don't think it matters who you are in Victory, but what matters a great deal is going into a game with allies, or at least getting them as soon as you can. Go in with Germany as an ally that you will help protect and attack his enemies, or get someone to help you attack Germany. You need to do either one.

What is also kind of sad thinking about it now, is that I did pretty poor as Denmark in 73 not a lot of land, not many ground/air kills either, and I ended on the top 10, I think just surviving the end game as Denmark most likely gets you in the top 10, or at least close!

-Andy

Don't wait for Germany to attack you, attack as soon as you can. Hope someone else is attacking him and try to have allies near by so they can aid you on the gound as much as possible. Once you survive Germany (or live with him), the rest of the game should be much easier. Not that you'll win the game easily just that you should make it to the end most of the time.

Ted