Rolling Thunder Forums

Calm GM

RTGRuss

Hey guys,

I've moved the Trade thread over to the Rules & Mechanics forum which seems a better spot for it and deleted the Angry GM thread since I wasn't sure it would serve any purpose other than to perhaps rile some folks up.

I do have a bit of a temper and RL has been exceedingly stressful the last few years (for Pete as well). I try not to snap at folks or let my temper get the better of me but I do slip a bit on occasion.

Our goal here is to run the best game that we can. As with most games of this type, it is an ongoing project to improve the game and correct any problems that may come up. Player input is always welcome although clearly we will not always see eye to eye on a particular issue :angry: and in many cases we will be operating with information that only we have. :unsure:

One thing that I'd like to ask for, after the recent commotion, is for players to give us a little more time to respond to threads that deal with real or perceived problems, etc. We don't have the time to monitor the board closely and it often takes time to formulate an official response. Pete and I may have to confer (and we often work different hours) and debate the issue ourselves before we respond. We may have pressing stuff to attend to first (players, its been our experience, would generally opt to place the rest of the world on hold in order to get turns out sooner rather than later... :lol: )

Feel free, of course, to debate a particular topic in our absence but please try not to let things get too out of hand until you've seen what we may have to say on a subject and please don't get angry with us if an official response is not immediately forthcoming.

We're not bad folks (at least I don't think so). We've been at this for a long time and although we are going through a stressful period in our lives right now, we are honestly doing the best we can. I don't like to see players unhappy - never have. We may make mistakes and we may not get things done as fast as we or somebody else would like but there is no ill intent behind any of it. We've stayed in this business as long as we have because we enjoy it (some days more than others obviously :D ) and see ourselves doing this until we are a couple of oldsters :lol:

Give us a hand from time to time, don't poke the dog with a stick and hopefully we'll have a great gaming community here for a long time (whether you are playing SN:ROTE, Victory! or anything else Pete and I may dream up down the road).

Take care and good gaming!

Russ

I personally am not at all concerned with recent events.

I consider the Trade thread a welcome sign of the continuing enthusiasm for the game. The fact that there was so much debate in a short period of time simply indicates that there is alot of brainpower directed toward SNROTE on a daily basis, and often without outlet. I doubt anyone takes issue with Russ or Pete not being able to immediately jump into the conversation.

As for the 'discussion' (rant) about personal communication with GMs, I would be quite satisfied if those sorts of tidbits are eventually incorporated into the official FAQ. If one person is asking the GM, you can be assured that many more are asking themselves the same question.

B) OLD...whom are you calling OLD...Sonny :angry:

Just because I can remember a time BEFORE MTV existed, and BEFORE Cable TV, also when most TVs didn't have remotes but instead one had to get UP OFF the couch and manually turn the Knob to watch about only 12 channels? :D Also lets not foget most TVs were Black n White, and portables were still huge, and Color TVs were HUGE in a wooden case.

Heck I can even remember gettig Milk delivered in a Glass Bottle with a cardboard tab that after it was pulled out it had some cream at the top :blink:

Life has changed alot in my 39 years!!!

B) OLD...whom are you calling OLD...Sonny  :angry:

Just because I can remember a time BEFORE MTV existed, and BEFORE Cable TV, also when most TVs didn't have remotes but instead one had to get UP OFF the couch and manually turn the Knob to watch about only 12 channels?  :D  Also lets not foget most TVs were Black n White, and portables were still huge, and Color TVs were HUGE in a wooden case.

Heck I can even remember gettig Milk delivered in a Glass Bottle with a cardboard tab that after it was pulled out it had some cream at the top :blink:

Life has changed alot in my 39 years!!!

Man your old! :lol: I feel so young here.

Milk in bottles <snort>. I remember getting it straight from the cow. B)

Not to mention only getting 2 or 3 channels on the TV depending on how the antenna was turned. And party-lines on the phone. And...hm, I'd better stop now, before I get some folks worrked about just how old I am :lol:

Umm, Russ?  Hate to break it to you both, but you two ARE a couple of oldsters.

:lol: Good point - what's the next category after oldster?

BTW - I can remember seeing my first computer in my senior year of high school - one of my teachers had picked up one of the first Apple computers...loading simple programs off a cassette tape - exciting B)

Apple Computers???

Sheesh, I remember the one person in high school who got one of those new hand calculators. $99.00 at Sears, and was a four function calculator. Steve Larson.

The "home" computers were in a small shop in Berkeley, and had names like Imsai 8080 and Sol 20, etc. (and cost $5,000 and more)

Now THATS old.

:angry: Damn,

I can remember learning to program using Computer Punch Cards :unsure: ...get one out of place and you were ...SOL :blink: Heck I can even remember computer punch tapes... :lol:

How about the first PC that were keyboard and pc in one, if the fuse blew out..you popped it open and stuck in a penny till you could replace it. Oh and yeah I can remember the Casset tape storage and the 300 MPS modems too :D

B)