Rolling Thunder Forums

Swedes In Spaaaace!

Locklyn

Now that the Shuttle mission has safely landed we can all happily rejoice in the fact that Swedes have taken their rightful place in space. Well at least we Swedes rejoice over it! Fuglesang rules!

Cheers

/Locklyn

I have not kept up with the space program as much as I would like.

Was this the mission that had trouble with the folding solar collectors?

STS-116 delivered a new segment (P5) for the station and they also switched the wiring for power generation to the permanent system (apparently they had been working off a temporary configuration but with the addition of new arrays last Sept it was time to switch over). The also delivered supplies, switched out a station crew member, etc.

The primary missions went well - Fuglesang took part in several spacewalks so that 'Swede' was about as much in space as you can get :pirate2: Hope he gets a good welcome back in his homeland - but they did have a problem with the old solar array not wanting to fold up properly and they ended up scheduling another spacewalk to get the thing to cooperate.

All the details available on this link :woohoo:

NASA Shuttle Section

Next mission is scheduled for March '07 I believe (delivering the S3/S4 segments and another set of solar arrays) :thumbsup:

Russ

STS-116 delivered a new segment (P5) for the station and they also switched the wiring for power generation to the permanent system (apparently they had been working off a temporary configuration but with the addition of new arrays last Sept it was time to switch over). The also delivered supplies, switched out a station crew member, etc.

The primary missions went well - Fuglesang took part in several spacewalks so that 'Swede' was about as much in space as you can get :pirate2: Hope he gets a good welcome back in his homeland - but they did have a problem with the old solar array not wanting to fold up properly and they ended up scheduling another spacewalk to get the thing to cooperate.

All the details available on this link :woohoo:

NASA Shuttle Section

Next mission is scheduled for March '07 I believe (delivering the S3/S4 segments and another set of solar arrays) :thumbsup:

Russ

Just a few more solar arrays, and this global warming thing is history, eh? I feel the shade already. But hey, we like the 40's (F) in December in Chicago! But Colorado is getting whacked with snow again!

If the power holds up, there should be nothing to do for Pete other than turn processing.... (wishful thinking for an early turn release.)

Octus

Global warming LOL

They can not even tell us if it will rain tomorrow, and we are supposed to believe this crap

Just 25 years ago, the same people said we were about to go into the next ice age. Guess we fixed that HUH

you know the contientents will be colliding also, so lets fix that, I am sure that drift must be our fault, maybe we, could all run reall fast to the other side, and stop

Global warming LOL

They can not even tell us if it will rain tomorrow, and we are supposed to believe this crap

Just 25 years ago, the same people said we were about to go into the next ice age. Guess we fixed that HUH

you know the contientents will be colliding also, so lets fix that, I am sure that drift must be our fault, maybe we, could all run reall fast to the other side, and stop

Memory and facts are very inconvenient when you are trying to manipulate people using hype and hysteria. Everytime I start to worry about global warming, I remember global cooling hype in the 70's and then read Fallen Angel by Niven and Pournelle again and snicker.

Ironically the same causes and solutions were suggested for global cooling as are now being touted for global warming.

And of course it's "our" fault. :woohoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Global warming LOL

Memory and facts are very inconvenient when you are trying to manipulate people using hype and hysteria. Everytime I start to worry about global warming, I remember global cooling hype in the 70's and then read Fallen Angel by Niven and Pournelle again and snicker.

Ironically the same causes and solutions were suggested for global cooling as are now being touted for global warming.

And of course it's "our" fault. :beer:

Shall we call this list of facts something like, 'Inconvenient Facts'?

Global warming LOL

Inconvenient Facts?

Like 2006 was the warmest year on record in this country?

Sure, there might be lots of reasons. But *one* of the reasons sure looks like the rise in atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Are you comparing the state of human knowledge in 1970-1980 to what it is today? If you want to live your life based on what was known 25 years ago or in the 70s, please quit using your PC and your cell phone and keep listening to your 8-track tapes.

:ninja:

Global warming LOL

Inconvenient Facts?

Sure, there might be lots of reasons. But *one* of the reasons sure looks like the rise in atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Are you comparing the state of human knowledge in 1970-1980 to what it is today? If you want to live your life based on what was known 25 years ago or in the 70s, please quit using your PC and your cell phone and keep listening to your 8-track tapes.

:ninja:

Easy people, easy. Next thing ya know someone might get an eye put out. Politcs, rants, and enviro commentary (for the passionate) should probably be shared in another forum.

If we're not careful somone may go out and burn some hummers in retaliation! :laugh:

Of course, I do remember reading this would be a very cold winter, and it was in the 50's during xmass in Michigan.

[Easy people, easy. Next thing ya know someone might get an eye put out. Politcs, rants, and enviro commentary (for the passionate) should probably be shared in another forum.

If we're not careful somone may go out and burn some hummers in retaliation! :laugh:

Of course, I do remember reading this would be a very cold winter, and it was in the 50's during xmass in Michigan.

Now that's a nice thought. Stack up a few Hummers, light em up, and we can all sit around holding hands and singing Kumbaya. Heck, maybe we could even make S'Mores! :beer:

Like any complex issue, the easiest way to resolve this is pick one scape goat, place all the blame on them, and ignore anything else. For the moment, I've decided to blame every SUV owner. That's right, it's all their *&$% fault. Freakin self-centered gas hogs. <_< Why if we just placed a tax of $3.00 per gallon on gasoline, we could get all the money we need from these monsters, and use it to reverse all of the damage they've done. :ninja: And they can afford it! Considering how much they spent on those SUV behemoths, they wouldn't even notice the tax. Trust me, I know I'm right. :angry2:

Ahhhhh .. I feel so much better.

Global warming LOL

And of course it's "our" fault. :D

Inconvenient Facts?

:D

I don't disagree, but another study shows that the amount of sunlight reaching the earth's surface is less than it has been for a long while (qouted pan evaporation rate) suggesting that it is only the C02 in the atmosphere that is keeping us warm, but the same programme contradicted itself in a study of ground temperature in America after all commercial flights where grounded for 3 days after 9/11, where the skies where unusually clear due to no jet contrails adding to the cloud layer.

Programme itself cam to no useful conculsion.

The primary missions went well - Fuglesang took part in several spacewalks so that 'Swede' was about as much in space as you can get :blink: Hope he gets a good welcome back in his homeland - but they did have a problem with the old solar array not wanting to fold up properly and they ended up scheduling another spacewalk to get the thing to cooperate.

All the details available on this link :huh:

NASA Shuttle Section

Next mission is scheduled for March '07 I believe (delivering the S3/S4 segments and another set of solar arrays) :huh:

Russ

Thanks Russ.

I used to keep track of every step. But life moves on, I get busy doing other things. And now I only know what I hear on NPR radio.