Rolling Thunder Forums

Experiments with ICE

WKE235

In order to better judge the results of ICE, I have decided some experimentation is in order.

My first experimental subject is a Gas Giant. Why? Several reasons

1) The Gas Giant selected has only 5 resources, meaning any ICE effects will be concentrated for maximum positive (or negative) impact.

2) Of the 5 resources, my HW lacks 3. With one resource as Geothermal, the odds are good I can get resources I need from this.

3) Since my race is from a very high G world, I can settle Gas Giants and get very good CSV ratings (depenging on attached buildings). So I can build a mining colony if things work out.

Experimental package consisted of 10,000 tons of ICE-2, dropped on the planet the proceeding turn. A GEO order was issued to confirm the status of the world prior to the drop, and one was done on this turn. Here are the results:

.....................................Original Value .............New Value

Gaseous Elements: ...............597...........................629

Geothermal Potential: ...........200...........................597

Industrial Chemicals: ............568...........................972

Radioactive Elements: ...........145...........................602

Rare Elements: .....................242...........................424

Total net increase in value: 1467 resource units for 10,000 tons of ICE-2. An average of .1467 units per ton dropped.

SO .. anyone else want to post some ICE experiment results? Also, I'd be interested in peoples thoughts as what I should do with my Gas Giant. Try another load of ICE-2 (perhaps a bigger load) to see what happens (and if so, what amount)? Or, take what I got, build the colony, and bring in some Deep Core Surveyors to start pumping up the values?

In order to better judge the results of ICE, I have decided some experimentation is in order.

1) The Gas Giant selected has only 5 resources, meaning any ICE effects will be concentrated for maximum positive (or negative) impact.

2) Of the 5 resources, my HW lacks 3. With one resource as Geothermal, the odds are good I can get resources I need from this.

3) Since my race is from a very high G world, I can settle Gas Giants and get very good CSV ratings (depenging on attached buildings). So I can build a mining colony if things work out.

Experimental package consisted of 10,000 tons of ICE-2, dropped on the planet the proceeding turn. A GEO order was issued to confirm the status of the world prior to the drop, and one was done on this turn. Here are the results:

Total net increase in value: 1467 resource units for 10,000 tons of ICE-2. An average of .1467 units per ton dropped.

SO .. anyone else want to post some ICE experiment results? Also, I'd be interested in peoples thoughts as what I should do with my Gas Giant. Try another load of ICE-2 (perhaps a bigger load) to see what happens (and if so, what amount)? Or, take what I got, build the colony, and bring in some Deep Core Surveyors to start pumping up the values?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Can you really colonize a gasgiant? I find extreme temps to be a major hurdle.

As for what to do, might as well drop one more BIG load to get the geothermal up higher to make any follow-on DCS easier to run.

Can you really colonize a gasgiant? I find extreme temps to be a major hurdle.

As for what to do, might as well drop one more BIG load to get the geothermal up higher to make any follow-on DCS easier to run.

Yes, temp is still the biggest problem. Over time I've used Species Engineering to beef up my Lifeform rating. For this Gas Giants, Gravity is not a problem. My lifeform colonization bonus is pretty good now. And though blind luck, Axial Tilt is an exact match. So, installations like a City, Domed City, Pollution Processor, Colonial Training Center, and Fluid Conversion Plant, are enough to offset attrition from atmosphere, ocean, and the big killer temperature. And this gets the attrition to a very reasonable rate. Heck, toss in a something like an Atmosphere Exchanger or Subterranian City and I bet I could get it so growth balances with attrition.

Well, I was not about to be the first to let ICE research out of the bag. But since you started things off, I guess I will contribute.

I have performed an even dozen experiments with small amounts (40 to 400 tons) of ICE-1, and found results pretty comparable to yours.

First of all, I note that you had no negative deposit results. This is probably pure luck. Typically with ICE-1, about one in four results are negative, and the average negative impact is of greater magnitude than the average positive impact.

Consistently, the average total planetary deposite change, positive impact minus negative impact, comes out very close to 0.1 deposit size increase per ton.

TErnest

Well, I was not about to be the first to let ICE research out of the bag. But since you started things off, I guess I will contribute.

I have performed an even dozen experiments with small amounts (40 to 400 tons) of ICE-1, and found results pretty comparable to yours.

First of all, I note that you had no negative deposit results. This is probably pure luck. Typically with ICE-1, about one in four results are negative, and the average negative impact is of greater magnitude than the average positive impact.

Consistently, the average total planetary deposite change, positive impact minus negative impact, comes out very close to 0.1 deposit size increase per ton.

TErnest

Is it possible that because he used such a large amount of ICE that he averaged out the negative results?

Is it possible that because he used such a large amount of ICE that he averaged out the negative results?

Coping the words of wisdom from RTGPete (as contained in "The Disappearing Colony Ship" thread, where a lot of this was discussed after it was jacked)

"Large "mega-swings" are absolutely possible when you use a lot of ICE, but it's not so much a matter of luck in that regard, but simply a matter of mass. There is always the chance of catastrophe, which is the downside of fooling with ICE. It's risky not in that you stand to make huge gains for a small amount of ICE, but because there is a chance of global catastrophe every time you use ICE....this leads to the idea of using a lot at once, or using it offworld.

ICE and Deep Core Surveyors are not the only ways of raising overall resource production."

SO .. for testing I decided to use a lot (as per Pete it appears each time you use ICE, no matter the amount, there is some type of chance of having a really, really bad day result), and I used it offworld. Hopefully such testing will give a feel for what type of swings in resources are possible. I'll probably continue to do such tests, until I come across the other ways of raising production (besides ICE, DCS's, and placing your mines in one POP group with all your Admin Characters, away from stripmines and industrial complexes, to boost the odds of productions boosts from them).

ICE seems to have mellowed over time. We dropped 2+ years ago and had quite different results. We've also seen catastrophic results!

Would you like to elaborate on what "catastrophic results" meant in those days?

Calamaran.

Complete elimination of several categories of resources on the world for one...

I would say that the current results are quite tame as compared to the initial uses. With the level of results that we are seeing today I don't know that you would get a result of anything over 10,000.

Looks to me like the amplitude of the effect has been toned down quite a bit.

Who will be the first person to drop 100k of the stuff?

:jawdrop:

I am planning something in the 50K range on one of the 5 worthless planets in my home system. 100K ICE sounds nice as well but that will cost a lot of resources and even whilst I am capable of colonising gas giants, it would take a lot of effort to get a decent production of needed resources going.

Nevertheless, it will still take me a considerable amount of research time before I am capable of building ICE so I may have an impressive stockpile of resources by then.

Calamaran.

Here is the results of my ICE-1 Experiment. I "dropped" 1000t of ICE-1 on my HW and here are the results

Hydroelectric: +42 :laugh:

Iron: +47 :angry2:

Radioa: +17

Rare Ele: +45 <_<

Lt Metal: +32

Gemstone: +21

Coal: +9

Precious Metals : -50

Crystals: -7

Net Increase/Decrease: +156 points

Based on other posts above it is probably fair to say that you might expect to get a 10% to 15% net increase in resource values. Of course the disclaimer of *individual results may vary and are not guaranteed* would need to be added.

I would love to see the results of 100kt of the stuff getting dropped. A net increase of 10,000 to 15,000 points would be awesome. Who out there has the balls to roll that pair of dice??? :D My luck and I'd get that kind of increase in Mineral Fertilizer and Coal :beer:

Can you imagine if the improvement was in Rare Elements??? The next experiement would have to be on the order of 1Mton of ICE for a theoretical increase of 100,000 to 150,000 points :ninja: *assuming results mirror the three examples provided here*