Rolling Thunder Forums

Espionage

Locklyn

Pete.

Great work on getting the espionage section fixed! What sort of results on agents actions can we expect? I've seen report on enemy orders, builds and such so far but how about actual sabotage, killing of enemy leaders, spoiling research and defiling their holy places and local StarBars et such?

Great work!

Cheers

/Locklyn

Pete.

Great work on getting the espionage section fixed! What sort of results on agents actions can we expect? I've seen report on enemy orders, builds and such so far but how about actual sabotage, killing of enemy leaders, spoiling research and defiling their holy places and local StarBars et such?

Great work!

Cheers

/Locklyn

Sabotage is really rare, with many more intelligence-gathering results in the mix instead. The problem is that sabotage hurts small players a lot (they can't afford to lose a single expensive installation), and doesn't scratch a big player (who might not even notice that he's lost something expensive). On the other hand, if sabotage was made to only destroy small, cheap installations, there would be no point. As a result, it's possible to get sabotage results but to be honest, you'd probably rather get an intel file back from your spy. Each agent only gets one result per turn, so the intel is probably the best thing you can get.

On another note I was asked why dropped empire spies continue to spy against you. This is because leaders are not killed when you invade the world they are on (the player in question might want to mount a rescue attempt and extract them from the world later), and deactivating all agents for dropped empires would only serve to tell you that the empire is dropped. I didn't feel that there was any upside to giving out such useful information (you would not have any other way of knowing if he had dropped or not), so their spies continue working anyway.

I have considered sharing intelligence between Total Allies, but that is not active yet. If I do that, you'd get reports of successful intel missions from your Total Allies, and this would mean that even dropped empire's spies could provide their Total Allies with valuable informatoin. Not sure if I'll do this or not - just an idea.

Pete,

Speaking for spineless (that is...invertibrate) shape shifting, background blending, telepathic, natural linguists with very highly developed sensory abilities, :blink: everywhere, just let me say...

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you! :wub:

At last, Arcane Services, Inc. can come into its own!!! :cheers:

TErnest

(Arcane Service, Incorporated)

That was quick progress! I don't have anybody to spy on at the moment, but maybe someday.

Dropped empires continue to run on autopilot, always have, don't see any reason why they shouldn't. In fact, it would be nice if the autopilot artificial intelligence was a little smarter and more aggressive. (in my opinion)

Total Allies can share intelligence another way...by emailing their results to each other. That obviously would stop once the empire is dropped. But I don't see any reason why one empire should benafit from another dropped empire.

I have to agree on the dropped empire thing... It seems like there would be a way to abuse the ability to get intel from dropped positions; having only one's own spies be able to report to you keeps the playing filed level for everyone.

That said, thanks for getting this feature implemented!

-LX

That was quick progress! I don't have anybody to spy on at the moment, but maybe someday.

Dropped empires continue to run on autopilot, always have, don't see any reason why they shouldn't. In fact, it would be nice if the autopilot artificial intelligence was a little smarter and more aggressive. (in my opinion)

Total Allies can share intelligence another way...by emailing their results to each other. That obviously would stop once the empire is dropped. But I don't see any reason why one empire should benafit from another dropped empire.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide a sample report:

Here's something I've seen reported from another empire:

{Director Paola, operating on XXXX - 1, has stolen valuable intelligence concerning civilian industrial assembly orders belonging to XXXXX # XXX. 10 Imperial Army Artillery(s) were ordered built on XXXX - 1.}

Interestingly the agent in question was stationed on a world other than the one reported on.... :D

-LX

{Director Paola, operating on XXXX - 1, has stolen valuable intelligence concerning civilian industrial assembly orders belonging to XXXXX # XXX. 10 Imperial Army Artillery(s) were ordered built on XXXX - 1.}

Interestingly the agent in question was stationed on a world other than the one reported on.... :D

-LX

Never question an agent's sources, unless the bank accounts get light too quickly. :D

Octus

-LX

That's correct. Your agents are stealing information about the target empire, poking about in what should be secure areas. Information on many aspects of the target's actions can be obtained. It should be noted, however, that stationing your agents on small colony worlds gives them a significantly reduced chance of success. Stationing them directly on a very large world owned by your target, or the target's home planet, gives the best chance for success. Lifeform features that modify exploration and special category bonuses (EXM and ESM ratings) make a difference, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else experiencing problems with espionage this turn? All of my empires seem to be lacking any results whatsoever?

/Locklyn

Anyone else experiencing problems with espionage this turn? All of my empires seem to be lacking any results whatsoever?

/Locklyn

It looks like I got hit with a Type C Sleep Deprivator and forgot to run the espionage routine after end turn adjustments :unsure: I've since moved the espionage call to run for sure in the cases that I pass out on my keyboard :D

I'll run a double espionage pass next time (once at the beginning of the turn to show what happened this turn, which is the same as if it had run this time except that your agents got delayed sending in their reports :P

Sorry about that!

"I have considered sharing intelligence between Total Allies, but that is not active yet. If I do that, you'd get reports of successful intel missions from your Total Allies, and this would mean that even dropped empire's spies could provide their Total Allies with valuable informatoin. Not sure if I'll do this or not - just an idea"

Just curious, since their is no 'true diplomacy setting' ie a Total Ally setting only affects ROE settings, are you going to implement actual diplomacy rules, that is, actual allies, TA's etc.

This is important, because I have an empire that has many of my neighbors set as TA's (mostly so I don't accidently blow them up) but I'm not sure I want to share my intel reports, especially since they are not true Total Allies.

Thoughts?

:D:D

(this goes back to the old paranoia thing.... :unsure::P )

"I have considered sharing intelligence between Total Allies, but that is not active yet. If I do that, you'd get reports of successful intel missions from your Total Allies, and this would mean that even dropped empire's spies could provide their Total Allies with valuable informatoin. Not sure if I'll do this or not - just an idea"

Just curious, since their is no 'true diplomacy setting' ie a Total Ally setting only affects ROE settings, are you going to implement actual diplomacy rules, that is, actual allies, TA's etc.

This is important, because I have an empire that has many of my neighbors set as TA's (mostly so I don't accidently blow them up) but I'm not sure I want to share my intel reports, especially since they are not true Total Allies.

Thoughts?

:D:D

(this goes back to the old paranoia thing.... :unsure::P )

Then set them to Ally and not Total Ally

Then set them to Ally and not Total Ally

True, but the current setting really has nothing to do with diplomatic status, completely one sided. Only affects how your ships react. TA, Ally, etc as a diplomatic status should be mutual. ie you can't be a TA of someone who is at war with you. :P