Rolling Thunder Forums

Diplomatic Messages

WKE235

Tired of repeatedly getting nothing back from folks that I tried to contact via the in game MESS order, I tried to contact one of my other empires to test the order. Here is the result:

===============================================================================

Diplomatic message received from Concordium # 3833: Greetings! Please contact me at your earliest convenience. w.engler@comcast.net

This brief, tiny message appeared within the Convoy orders of my 147 page turn result. How in the HECK is anyone supposed to notice this thing. I went by it twice glancing through the turn pages, and located using a FIND (only since I knew it had to be there).

I guess the only ways to contact other players and make sure they get your message is to send a note to RTG, and ask them to forward it to empire ABC # 123. Going through the boards is no guarentee as not everyone reads these all the time. Going through the in-game MESS order may not work as the whole teeny, tiny message is near impossible to see or notice.

Tired of repeatedly getting nothing back from folks that I tried to contact via the in game MESS order, I tried to contact one of my other empires to test the order. Here is the result:

Diplomatic message received from Concordium # 3833: Greetings! Please contact me at your earliest convenience. w.engler@comcast.net

This brief, tiny message appeared within the Convoy orders of my 147 page turn result. How in the HECK is anyone supposed to notice this thing. I went by it twice glancing through the turn pages, and located using a FIND (only since I knew it had to be there).

I guess the only ways to contact other players and make sure they get your message is to send a note to RTG, and ask them to forward it to empire ABC # 123. Going through the boards is no guarentee as not everyone reads these all the time. Going through the in-game MESS order may not work as the whole teeny, tiny message is near impossible to see or notice.

Where on your turn sheet does page 147 fall? Just so I can make a note to check there in the future.

I agree that Diplomatic events should have their own page as should Alien Fleet Sightings. My last turn was 700 pages...things are bound to be overlooked :D

Cheers

/Lars

All diplomatic mesages should appear at the front of the turn or in some other specific location easily found. I would also like a summary of fleet sightings, but that will likely not happen.

Oh, and my turn pushes 1000 pages and grows just about every turn. Those 160 AP ships on convoy routes really generated lots of pages. I can take quite a long time just to try and figure out which convoy routes need to be adjusted or are running empty for 1/2 the run. This is also a large source of fleet sightings since you get the same ones over and over again.

:cheers:

7 captured homeworlds, the convoy routes between (alas only 80-120 AP since I'm behind Hobknob in engines) them and a three front war quite easily swells a turn to extensive sizes. I only print out relevant parts like fleet and colonial info for turn planning. Would be a waste of paper otherwise. Smart thing to do is use pdf software that lets you either bookmark pages when you read the turn or set virtual postits. Makes it easier once you're coming round to do the actual turn.

Cheers

/Lars

I agree with the above, but until there are changes, I'd suggest that you issue the MESS order as one of your first if not the first order as it runs in the order you issue your orders. That way the message will show up early on you recipient's turn. :cheers:

I agree with the above, but until there are changes, I'd suggest that you issue the MESS order as one of your first if not the first order as it runs in the order you issue your orders. That way the message will show up early on you recipient's turn. :cheers:

Not always possible. Sometimes those first orders are best used for ship moves and jumps, especially when you are engaged in some fighting. Moving your ship before they move theirs to either avoid a fight or catch someone, using those early orders can mean a lot to combat successes. But, your suggestion is valid. The earlier in the orders they appear, the move likely that single line will be seen.

Case in point:

Why, yes, I finally spotted your message in the midst of movement orders - :cheers: - normally I wouldn't have seen it since there is no SS, SURV, PMAP, GEO, COLB, or ORB (or battle) near it. I never print the turns and only extract information that I require (over 300 pages).

I replied.