Rolling Thunder Forums

Deep Core Surveys

Octus Imperium

The story I heard.:

ICE used to be much more generous that it is now. So if you were one of the handful that employed large amounts of ICE before Pete toned it way down, you have a huge advantage of those that didn't.

Actually, by my ICE experiments and calculations, EEOC's claims of 10,000 to 20,000 deposit size through the use of ICE-1 is possible. Although it is at what I would consider to be at the outer edge of what is feasible, given the age of most intelligent spacefaring races.

By my estimation, it would take something like the one time application of 700,000 tons of ICE-1 on a single planet (and a fair amount of luck) to produce this outcome. For those of you who have not run the numbers, it would probably take a typical homeworld, at starting production levels, about 100 cycles to produce that much. That is assuming that you were not doing very much of anything else, of course.

Now, with early research concentration on getting Industrial Science advances, one might be able to drop the time needed to produce that much ICE-1 by maybe 25 or 30 percent. :cheers:

Further, if the world in question started with a Rare Elements deposit, one could further accelerate things by making multiple smaller ICE-1 drops (rather than one big drop) and using the resulting growth in Rare Element mining to signficantly boost ICE-1 output. Of course, one would have to ballence that with the increased risk of global catastrophy that goes along with multiple ICE drops. :joker:

We, ourselves are attempting a large ICE based production boost this cylce, but only at the 70,000 ton level. (Please pray for us!) :blink:

:cheers:

TErnest

A potential of 2000 is a really low level to compare anything to. I know of planets that started with resources close to 1500 so being overly concerned about a resource potential greater than 2000 is a bit short sighted.

It is also not that difficult to get resources into the 2000 range just using DCS's. You just have to be willing to devote a good chunk of your industrial production to the project.

Just having high resources is also not a complete solution to your production woes. The higher the potential the more mines you have to have. Most HW's started out needing between 10 and 15,000 mines to fully realize all the potential yields of the planet. Once you start to get higher yields that number goes up drastically. A yield of 10,000 will produce 250M of the resource but also requires 50,000 pop. By the time you get 4-5 resources to these levels you wind up using 1/2 your population just on mines and reduces your production capacity. This is a problem I would like to have myself at some point. :joker:

The other leveling effect results from not having all of your required resources at exalted levels. For example, without crystals at high levels you will be somewhat limited in the construction of anything requiring electronics. Just having a couple of stats really high is nice, but not game breaking.

I seem to recall EEOC commenting that the use of ICE did eliminate a few stats completely. They may not have been important ones or they may have.

:cheers::blink::cheers:

You just need the right 2 resources at super high yields to be "game breaking". It is more a means to and end.

And those would be what???

Grains and Water??? (well, alcohol needs would be well met)

Precious Metals and Gemstones??? (pretty bracelets, crowns, scepters of rulership)

Rare Herbs & Spices and Fibers??? (can't beat a diet with more fiber and pharmaceuticals to push things through)

Just wondering. :alien:

• 2 weeks later...

We guess Iron and Lumber. If those two are high enough, we could afford to build many MANY DCSs (and power plants) and then all our yields will be very high very quickly.

You just need the right 2 resources at super high yields to be "game breaking". It is more a means to and end.

And those would be what???

Grains and Water??? (well, alcohol needs would be well met)

Precious Metals and Gemstones??? (pretty bracelets, crowns, scepters of rulership)

Rare Herbs & Spices and Fibers??? (can't beat a diet with more fiber and pharmaceuticals to push things through)

Just wondering. :woohoo:

Actually Hydro and Iron were the big winners. Lumber was a close third but not really as necessary. A lumber production of 5k is adequate. You can only build 4k of people a turn.

Hydro to power the hydro plants to infinity

Iron to make the steel to make the DCS and also the CMs (lumber is good here)