Rolling Thunder Forums

Technology from EXPL hits

kukri65

On my last turn I got an EXPL hit on a tech that I am currently researching, but it didn't seem to have any impact to my research progress. According to my calculations, I should be only 0.8 RPs from going to the next set of dashes on the progress chart, without a research hit. I would have thought that the EXPL hit would have given me the needed research to move along. Are EXPL tech hits frational points?

On my last turn I got an EXPL hit on a tech that I am currently researching, but it didn't seem to have any impact to my research progress. According to my calculations, I should be only 0.8 RPs from going to the next set of dashes on the progress chart, without a research hit. I would have thought that the EXPL hit would have given me the needed research to move along. Are EXPL tech hits frational points?

I'm not sure if anyone really knows.

As I understand it, exploration hits are good for a variable amount of RP. The amount of RP gleaned from an exploration find is really small at best. Some things that are supposed to affect how much actual research you get are the usual suspects, lifeform, current tech being used, characters in place, potential of find etc..

Early in the game I know that I got a dozen or more hits on the same tech and when I could finally research the tech I was at 40-50% after the first turn with a single RC assigned. This was a small tech anyway so each exploraiton hit would have been worth more, but it was still impressive.

So, your exploration find expectations could be a bit too high or your assumed research benefit could be too high.

I have never been able to pin down research with the degree of accuracy that you are suggesting. :wub:

Good luck on the next exploration find.

:D

As I understand it, exploration hits are good for a variable amount of RP. The amount of RP gleaned from an exploration find is really small at best. Some things that are supposed to affect how much actual research you get are the usual suspects, lifeform, current tech being used, characters in place, potential of find etc..

Early in the game I know that I got a dozen or more hits on the same tech and when I could finally research the tech I was at 40-50% after the first turn with a single RC assigned. This was a small tech anyway so each exploraiton hit would have been worth more, but it was still impressive.

So, your exploration find expectations could be a bit too high or your assumed research benefit could be too high.

I have never been able to pin down research with the degree of accuracy that you are suggesting. :wub:

Good luck on the next exploration find.

:D

Hobnob,

Figuring out the research bonuses from lifeform is pretty simple. For each "plus" in Intelligence you get 10%, for each "plus" in Sensory you get 5%, and for Long Life Cycle you get 5%. You add up all the possible bonuses and you come up with the 50% max that everyone knows about. This isn't guaranteed; it's based on a very small sample of lifeforms and observed progress on techs, but it works for those so it's probably correct.

Yes, those numbers are pretty well known and fairly accurate by current observations. The problem lies in tracking all of the various factors such as multiple RC's on a tech, exploration hits, scientist hits etc. With all these factors combined there are many variables that can only guessed at causing the results to be less accurate still.

:blink:

Yes, those numbers are pretty well known and fairly accurate by current observations. The problem lies in tracking all of the various factors such as multiple RC's on a tech, exploration hits, scientist hits etc. With all these factors combined there are many variables that can only guessed at causing the results to be less accurate still.

:robot:

Multiple RCs have been scientifically determined to boost research by the square root of the RCs applied. 4 nets twice as much research as 1, 9 gives 3 times, etc. You can even get a tech 5 times quicker by using all your RCs. Go ahead, we'll be over here researching everything else. :blink:

:robot:

Multiple RCs have been scientifically determined to boost research by the square root of the RCs applied. 4 nets twice as much research as 1, 9 gives 3 times, etc. You can even get a tech 5 times quicker by using all your RCs. Go ahead, we'll be over here researching everything else. :blink:

Hmmm, razor wire in one turn? Perhaps.

I would expect both EXPL and scientist hits to give a whole number of research points.

A couple of possibilities:-

Do you have the right cost for the tech? Most third generation techs cost 24 or 27.

I have had trouble figuring out the exact rounding it uses so I find my calculations are sometimes a little off when the tech is around the next -- mark.

I would expect both EXPL and scientist hits to give a whole number of research points.

Do you have the right cost for the tech? Most third generation techs cost 24 or 27.

I have had trouble figuring out the exact rounding it uses so I find my calculations are sometimes a little off when the tech is around the next -- mark.

Out of my experience it seems a EXPL it is worth one unmodified RC and breakthroughs are about 1/6 of the research (with 6 breakthroughs an item has finished for me all the time even higher techs).

Out of my experience it seems a EXPL it is worth one unmodified RC and breakthroughs are about 1/6 of the research (with 6 breakthroughs an item has finished for me all the time even higher techs).

These seem a little generous, although I do remember being surprised at how much of a bounce a couple minor breakthroughs provided. And there have been several minor breakthroughs where it didn't seem to have much impact at all. My suspicion is that there is variation between various minor breakthroughs. It would be speculation on my part to suggest impact based on level of scientist, level of targeted research 'item', and chance.

No comment on EXPL hits, but a full RC would be nice. But is that a 'standard' RC, or the race RC * modifier? More speculation.

Octus

These seem a little generous, although I do remember being surprised at how much of a bounce a couple minor breakthroughs provided. And there have been several minor breakthroughs where it didn't seem to have much impact at all. My suspicion is that there is variation between various minor breakthroughs. It would be speculation on my part to suggest impact based on level of scientist, level of targeted research 'item', and chance.

No comment on EXPL hits, but a full RC would be nice. But is that a 'standard' RC, or the race RC * modifier? More speculation.

Octus

Exploration hits appear to be one standard RC as Cestvel noted above.

Octus

Well, the only quantifiable minor breakthrough I have had added 2 points to a 12 cost tech and the scientist was rank 2. So the bonus could be 1/6 of the tech, the rank of the scientist, or a random number perhaps inspired by either or both of those former numbers.

Octus

Well, the only quantifiable minor breakthrough I have had added 2 points to a 12 cost tech and the scientist was rank 2. So the bonus could be 1/6 of the tech, the rank of the scientist, or a random number perhaps inspired by either or both of those former numbers.

Rank seems to go into how often your scientist gets a breakthrough.

But I do not rule out that they contribute to the size of the breakthrough, On the other hand, most of my breakthroughs are from Master Scientists and Senior Scientists.

It's a 4th gen Horizon tech, I thought those cost 36 points, but maybe I'm wrong on that number.