Rolling Thunder Forums

Do Characters take space?

Hmmm... Taking 1st Belisarius comments about cracking warp points .. what other uses could there be.

Lets say I place fleets over 5 worlds in a system and want to do explores each turn. And lets say fleet 1 has a Master Scientist on board.

Now, instead of using XEXPL's, I could use EXPL's. I would do this .. EXPL 1, EXPL 1, ASC 2, EXPL 2, EXPL 2, ASC 3, etcetera... In other words, one Master Scientist can explore all 5 worlds in one turn .. as long as I'm willing to pay for ALL the orders. Explore a world, transfer to the next fleet, explore, transfer, etctera, maximizing the chances of discoveries.

So with fleet transfers (assigns) of characters I can: (1) Set-up command lines that a character can use to move across my empire (warp 1, assign 2, warp 2, assign 3, etc... till I reach the targer). (2) Use one character to try and survey all the warp points in a star system (Surv 1, assign 2, surv 2, assign 3, etcetera...)and (3) Use one character for lots of explores

Actaully, if I really wanted to spend the $$$, I could have the character support these actions in multiple star systems on one turn. At the end of the EXPL orders, I could assign to a fleet at a warp point, warp to system 2, assign to a new fleet, and continue explores there .. eventually reassigning to another fleet at the warp point, warping, and reassigning to the start of it all, fleet 1. Wahoo!!!!

The problem I see is someone buying the game using such an abuse, and I do think it is an abuse. Someone who is willing to spend the big bucks outclasses others not because he out plays them, but because he out spends them. It is the Magic the Gathering pattern, where suit case guy wins because he spent more real world cash buying cards than his opponent! Blech!

Yeah, that's what I meant. Ever since I got 8 AP exploration fleets I get much more of a bang for my explorer. Instead of taking many turns to survey all of the warp points I can do most systems in 1 turn and still warp to a new system. For planet explorations I load up the best characters on a 10 AP fleet and have it do 10 Explores. A few of these fleets and character combos goea a long way. :woohoo:

Edited by hobknob