Rolling Thunder Forums

Do Characters take space?

While we're not to the point where sprawling empires need efficient modes of transferring leaders about, it's always good to think ahead.

What's a good way to get character A from point B to point C? I've considered creating a minimal transport from a jump drive, a thruster and tankage... quick and cheap. But... do characters need a berthing or cargo space for transport?

-Sha'thar

What's a good way to get character A from point B to point C?  I've considered creating a minimal transport from a jump drive, a thruster and tankage... quick and cheap.  But... do characters need a berthing or cargo space for transport?

There are no space/berthing requirements for characters. They can take passage on any ship you care to transport them on.

Russ

B)

BUG!!! According to the Assign Commander order, the Target of the order must be located whereever the Character is currently stationed.

Now on my last turn, stupid me, I sent a fleet to planet 1 in my system. I then did an Assign order, to attach an Diplomat to the fleet, and a LC order, to load some fuel and other items for trading with a Neutral. Since the characters and Pop Center are located on Planet 2, the LC order failed. But surprise, surprise, the AC order worked! The characters I did AC's for are now listed as part of the fleet.

SO .. is this a bug? Or has the AC order been changed so I can assign folks anywhere in the system, quick and easy?

WKE--

I do believe that you have discovered an undocumented feature of the program (I hate to call anything that works for me a bug). :lol:

Sha'thar--

If you stage it right, you can zip your characters from one end of your empire to the other in a single turn. B) Plus, since they take up no space, you can actually assign them to empty fleets. (I learned that one the hard way. :huh: )

-SK

Maybe since your commander was in the same System as the fleet, he/she just took an interplanetary shuttle to the fleet.

Actually that's correct. To make it easier to transfer characters around I'm working on implementation of personal shuttles for legendary characters. In theory, the same character could be transferred many times in times of battles, which is a minor loophole. To close it and allow for easier transfers at the same time, the idea is to relax the colocation rule and allow any transfer within the same star system, but prohibit multiple AC's on the same character during a turn (one transfer per turn max).

Actually I kind of like the idea of being able to move a character with a succession of ships waiting at jump points, Reminds me of the Battletech novels with their Command Line of Jump ships waiting to transfer key characters all the way across your empire. Also reminds me of the pony express principle.

I would vote to keep this the way it is, I realise it's an exploit the way it stands at the mo. Is there any way we could have it set so that once the character is onvolved in any action other than moving then they cannot be AC'd

Damian

Sorry Damian,

Transferring from Fleet to Fleet is too big an abuse.

I know a player who really abused the Explorers to crack warp points.

A player can not be allowed to spend 30$ or more per turn (5 or more turns sheets) to buy the game for such a big advantage.

That is why Pete stopped it.

You can only do 1 transfer per leader per turn.

This solves a lot of problems.

I'm not sure that I like the idea of being able to freely AC in-system with no real means of transportation. Though it does simplify things and cut down on orders, it may open up other abuses such as bypassing a blockading fleet to get army officers to a beseiged pop group.

I see your point DWillard, but we don't know how the code handles a Planetary Blockade. The game already assumes that leaders come with or can easily access organic transport. Historically, prominent leaders have snuck past enemy fleets in vessels that would not be considered military craft (e.g. MacArthur fleeing the Philippines). So it wouldn't be absurd for someone to try to "sneak" a military commander down to a besieged PopGroup. :beer:

If the code checks at both termini of the order to see if there are hostile units in the area that could intercept the leader, it should be relatively easy to generate a percentage chance for successful transit, interception (captured or killed) or aborted transit. :drunk:

If it doesn't check and just blindly lets you fling leaders hither and yon throughout a system then we have a problem as you said. :ranting:

f it doesn't check and just blindly lets you fling leaders hither and yon throughout a system then we have a problem as you said.  :beer:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Not to answer for hobknob but I do think that's what he's talking about. An explorer on a ship with multiple AP can move, surv, move, surv till the AP's run out.

I don't see a problem with this. Also, nobody seems to have a problem with administrators, merchants, diplomats, etc being able to affect multiple items during production.

There are lots of examples of how characaters can do multiple things in a turn so I don't see why the multiple AC is an issue. Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.