Rolling Thunder Forums

Naval Combat and Sensors

Prospective

Pete,

At the release of the Naval Combat Primer, we players gained a good deal of knowledge as to how the combat system in SN:ROTE works. We learned how computers factored in to FC, we learned how defensive systems worked, etc. One thing I didn't see mentioned were any details regarding the role that sensors play in naval combat.

We do understand that they act as a defensive system against the "Space Mine" line of weaponry. What is unclear is whether sensors have any additional role in naval combat. Is their ONLY function to provide defense against the 'space mines' line of weaponry? If no, can you elaborate as to what other roles they play in naval combat? Is there any cases where it is more advantageous to use a Short Range versus a Medium or Long Range sensor in naval combat?

Please help to complete our understanding of naval combat in SN:ROTE.

Thanks.

Pete,

At the release of the Naval Combat Primer, we players gained a good deal of knowledge as to how the combat system in SN:ROTE works. We learned how computers factored in to FC, we learned how defensive systems worked, etc. One thing I didn't see mentioned were any details regarding the role that sensors play in naval combat.

We do understand that they act as a defensive system against the "Space Mine" line of weaponry. What is unclear is whether sensors have any additional role in naval combat. Is their ONLY function to provide defense against the 'space mines' line of weaponry? If no, can you elaborate as to what other roles they play in naval combat? Is there any cases where it is more advantageous to use a Short Range versus a Medium or Long Range sensor in naval combat?

Thanks.

The primary role of sensors is that they are a defensive system. They can also lead to other more interesting units in the Mk XX Tech Tree.

Pete,

Thanks.

The primary role of sensors is that they are a defensive system. They can also lead to other more interesting units in the Mk XX Tech Tree.

signed 'Figure it out for yourself and stop bothering me while I'm trying to get turns out' :pirate2::o

Out of the naval combat system, they play a role to open up other tech items... Got that.

In a naval combat situation, their PRIMARY role is as a defensive system. Got that too.

Does this mean that sensors do have a secondary role in naval combat?

Also, is there any place where the different range sensors have an advantage over another? If so, how?

Thanks again Pete.

Pete,

Does that mean there is no secondary role that Short Range, Medium Range and Long Range sensors play in naval combat?

When is it more beneficial to use short range sensors versus medium range sensors vs long range sensors? In both primary (as a defense against mines) and potential secondary role?

:beer:

Well, you have to admire his persistance, I suppose. :cheers:

TErnest

(I keep an nice hard rock handy to bang my head against. You may borrow it for the weekend, if you like!) :drunk:

The "primary role", not the "primary role in combat". The primary role is a defensive system that protects against mines. The other two roles are spotting cloaked ships and aiding EXPL missions.

I doubt if they help with target selection (although I really wish they did). We've tried to beat that information out of Pete many times and he has always stood his ground. He has also been pretty clear that Short, Medium, and Long Range Sensors work the same. Deployment Location has no affect on them.

The tech tree system of prerequesites is the crux of the biscuit.

Pete has stated previously that Sensors are defensive systems. They have some utility during planet explorations but no other function during space combat. The different ranges don't really matter except to make getting the stuff at the end more difficult to reach and the fact that the different ranges have different defensive ratings.

:drunk: