Rolling Thunder Forums

Tandem Ground Combat

Sakarissa

Lets say, for examples sake, that Empire A and Empire B are friendly and have a Total Alliance with each other. They discover Empire Cs HW and decide to take it for themselves. Both A & B drop colony beacons and disgorge hundreds of troops and a few leaders into their respective pop groups. Now, if they both issue the GATK order on the same pulse, what happens?

Do they both attack Empire C and each other shouting "Mine!"?

I think that since the orders in each pulse are processed in a random empire order, one of the GATKs will process before the other. Assuming Empire A was the first, then that attack would take place. If Empire A won the pop group then the GATK from Empire B would be a moot point. If Empire As attack didn't take over the pop group, then Empire Bs forces would essentially take over.

This is all mere speculation. Could any of you warmongers out there care to clarify? Pete?

Sakarissa :laugh:

The Circle

They all take place simultaneously. Usually you would alert Pete before hand to indicate who was to retain control of the pop groups in the event of a successful battle.

All orders are run for an impulse before any sort of battle takes place anyway. Same for space battles. The triggers happen during the normal order impulse but the combat is resolved after all orders for that impulse have run. That is how you can have sightings but no battle where a fleet moves in, sees an enemy fleet, but then the enemy fleet moves later in the same order impulse.

Now if you have several armies on the contested and it is not clear who is allied with who, or if there are any alliances at all, then I have no idea what would happen since Pete would have to make everybody take sides before the combat would take place.

I have had space with 3 empires or more where one or more parties, the flip flops, have been on either side of the battle. This is a result of the flip flops having different degrees of PAP's in place with all the other empires present.

:laugh:

I asked Pete something similar in a mail long ago and got this response:

---------------------------------------------------------

Generally they will fight together. In multi-empire battles I’m called in to try and make sense of things. Hopefully it’s not late at night after an already-complicated turn cycle and I’m still capable of rational thought :laugh: I do try and make single big battles rather than multiple engagements.

Pete

---------------------------------------------------------

From my own experience the allied armies are treated as one. Their strengths are added together in determining tactical advantages or disadvantages, setting initial odds, etcetera... It appears the legendary characters all work together as one whole. Even how the troops are treated for losses appear combined with an overall "Each division is worth" rating for the whole allied mess.

Now, what you should be asking is what happens if A and B attack C at the same tiem, and no one is allied. That sound like fun?!?

Or ask if A and B are allied, and B attacks before A does their GATK (I think the answer to this is one battle again, where A as an ally gets drawn into the fight with B, ready or not).

Here are a few more words of wisdom from Pete (for some reason I ask lots of questions of him, go figure)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I know that an army and its divisions only engage in combat once per turn. IE .. only 1 GATK order per turn where you encounter resistance and have a battle. But, does this apply in both directions? What I mean is, lets say on round 6 of a turn player 1 did a GATK, and he and player 2 battled. Due to whatever situation, the battle ends with no clear winner. Then on round 9 of the turn, player 2 issued a GATK for his troops. Would a battle occur again .. or the one engagement per turn rule apply?

** Only one battle per turn – if divisions are added later that doesn’t change things, but if I know or notice that a major ground battle is going to occur on a turn and am aware that divisions are being added to one side or the other in a significant way, I can at my discretion ensure that the battle is run including all divisions. I like to avoid GM involvement in such things but sometimes I have to intervene to prevent game mechanics issues from becoming more important than gameplay.

On round 1 players 1 and 2 both issue GATK orders? WHO gets to be the attacker which sets the odds of the battle (I’m guessing it’s random chance on whichever players orders are processed first).

** My discretion. Usually I’ll enter it as the invader being the attacker but I might not notice in the case of the defender’s GATK randomly coming up first.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

Lets say, for examples sake, that Empire A and Empire B are friendly and have a Total Alliance with each other. They discover Empire Cs HW and decide to take it for themselves. Both A & B drop colony beacons and disgorge hundreds of troops and a few leaders into their respective pop groups. Now, if they both issue the GATK order on the same pulse, what happens?

Do they both attack Empire C and each other shouting "Mine!"?

I think that since the orders in each pulse are processed in a random empire order, one of the GATKs will process before the other. Assuming Empire A was the first, then that attack would take place. If Empire A won the pop group then the GATK from Empire B would be a moot point. If Empire As attack didn't take over the pop group, then Empire Bs forces would essentially take over.

This is all mere speculation. Could any of you warmongers out there care to clarify? Pete?

Sakarissa :jawdrop:

The Circle

Looks like anyone near Sakarissa should build a few more divisions. :laugh:

Looks like anyone near Sakarissa should build a few more divisions. :beer:

Unquote

I, Minister Grimalk, of the Legal Department of The Circle, as a legal spokesbeing for The Circle, can neither confirm or deny any operations by The Circle's military in regards to ground combat operations. There is no evidence to suggest this. The Circle is a gentle race of researchers who just want to get along with everyone else and polish their brain jars every once in a while. Any one who says other wise will be served with a slander/libel suit so fast it will make their head(s) spin. So sayeth The Circle.

Minister Grimalk for Sakarissa :(

The Circle

Unquote

I, Minister Grimalk, of the Legal Department of The Circle, as a legal spokesbeing for The Circle, can neither confirm or deny any operations by The Circle's military in regards to ground combat operations. There is no evidence to suggest this. The Circle is a gentle race of researchers who just want to get along with everyone else and polish their brain jars every once in a while. Any one who says other wise will be served with a slander/libel suit so fast it will make their head(s) spin. So sayeth The Circle.

Minister Grimalk for Sakarissa :alien:

The Circle

Well, that's good enough for me. If you can't trust the founder of WHAPO, who can you trust? :(

Unquote

Minister Grimalk for Sakarissa :alien:

The Circle

Well, that's good enough for me. If you can't trust the founder of WHAPO, who can you trust? :(

Its not the lawsuit that needs to be worried about, so much as the agency that serves the papers. Or so I've heard. I'm on the other side of the universe from these 'gentle folk' (I hope), so I've only got rumour to go by of course. I could be wrong.

Well, that's good enough for me. If you can't trust the founder of WHAPO, who can you trust? :beer:

Exactly. I'm perfectly trustable. I haven't invaded anyone at all. I've been attacked. I've had several fleets demolished by The Thraaknar Devastators. Pathfinders and other obsolete scout designs so no big losses. Thankfully I have lots of friends to help me out. A lot of Thraaknar Mogami Battlecruisers have been 'sunk' recently. I'm happy with that. *polishes his brain jar*

Its not the lawsuit that needs to be worried about, so much as the agency that serves the papers. Or so I've heard. I'm on the other side of the universe from these 'gentle folk' (I hope), so I've only got rumour to go by of course. I could be wrong.

Unquote

Well, give me your star map and I'll let you know how far away you are from me. Then I can put your fears to rest.

Sakarissa :(

The Circle

Founder of WHAPO

Perfectly Trustable Being

Well, that's good enough for me. If you can't trust the founder of WHAPO, who can you trust? :beer:

[/unquote]

Exactly. I'm perfectly trustable. I haven't invaded anyone at all. I've been attacked. I've had several fleets demolished by The Thraaknar Devastators. Pathfinders and other obsolete scout designs so no big losses. Thankfully I have lots of friends to help me out. A lot of Thraaknar Mogami Battlecruisers have been 'sunk' recently. I'm happy with that. *polishes his brain jar*

/quote

/unquote

Well, give me your star map and I'll let you know how far away you are from me. Then I can put your fears to rest.

Sakarissa :(

The Circle

Founder of WHAPO

[/unquote]

You've heard of the star system that's "far far away"? Thats me - and I'm staying there!

You've heard of the star system that's "far far away"? Thats me - and I'm staying there!

You sure about that? I mean, are ya positive? Completely sure? Beyond a shadow of a doubt? :woohoo::nuke:

Sakarissa B)

The Circle

PS: the rumors that we possess whole units of Attack Lawyers is completely false and unfounded. Really.

You sure about that? I mean, are ya positive? Completely sure? Beyond a shadow of a doubt? :woohoo::nuke:

Sakarissa B)

The Circle

PS: the rumors that we possess whole units of Attack Lawyers is completely false and unfounded. Really.

The prerequisites for even MkI Defence Lawyers is prohibitive - and then there's that old old saying about the man who defends himself having a fool for a lawyer. I think I'd prefer to gather a whole team of lawyers before I go to court against you.

...and just a hint more experience perhaps.

The prerequisites for even MkI Defence Lawyers is prohibitive - and then there's that old old saying about the man who defends himself having a fool for a lawyer. I think I'd prefer to gather a whole team of lawyers before I go to court against you.

...and just a hint more experience perhaps.

We also HAVE NOT, I repeat, HAVE NOT done extensive research in to Mk series Paper Cut Devices and Vorpal Legal Memos at all.....

Sakarissa :woohoo:

The Circle