Rolling Thunder Forums

Tech Pace and Player Spacing

EternusIV

What do you think of tech pace and player spacing one year into the game?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have bumped several times against the top end of the spectrum...

How can you tell you hit the top end? Do you simply not get a breakthrough when you should expect one, or is there a message of some sort?

...and truthfully MK II Fusion is not that much better than MK I Fusion or MK I Nuke. You need to many to make a difference on big war ships.

I'm confused, are you saying MK II Fusion is the first propulsion tech not available with SRP?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Mk II Fusion is the first best engine in the game (or it's nuclear counterpart). I have had them for many turns now and am really enjoying the 10 AP freighters, explores etc... Mk III's will also be nice but you will have to wait a good long time to get them. Of course, newer more advanced tech will always be desirable over older tech, but Mk II Fusions are very nice and really let you take advantage of multiple AP's. The real question is whether you would skip building with Mk II's while you waited for Mk III's. I would say the answer is a definitive NO. There is too much to be gained by using MK II's. The only engines that I would ever skip is Mk II Nuclear engines as they seem to be of little value. I have had them with one position for 20 turns now and still haven't built a single engine, instead waiting for the Mk III Nuclears and the Mk I Fusions to come online. For early tech there is a reason to skip a tech since the next advance will take a short time, but later on you can't afford to wait for the next tech.

:blink:

I would agree with Hobnob. MK II Nuke are worthless. MK I Fusion are nice but to drive colony ships at high AP is cost prohibitive. The cost gets reasonable (you need some 2100 engines to turn a 30 berthing ship into multiple APs).

MK III Fusion is probably the first real engine which can be mass produced effectively. You double your Thrust to 4000 and so the cost of engines gets reasobable.

My comment was that MK VI is the path for engines. In this case since MK III - MK VI have to be researched the research race will have an advantage EVENTUALLY