Rolling Thunder Forums

Notice and Comment

The Boo Consulate

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only "Boomer Sooner" law I know of is ---- "don't sing that OU fight song within 50 miles of Boulder/Broomfield county, please" :oops: Even though they may have the best college team in the history of football this year.

As for the Oil Boom, Oklahoma became a state some 40 years after the discovery of oil which frustrated a lot of speculators -- who worked hard to lobby for statehood (ie get the indians out of here so we can drill)

Once statehood arrived, regulations dropped, a few more Indian treaties were shoved aside and the "Sooner" expression and musical followed shortly thereafter with lots of ten gallon hats and whorehouses.

But seriously --

There was this craze to buy land that had "surface oil" -- which lead to small leases to allow drilling for oil close to the surface. A family could afford to invest in "surface" drilling and the oil reservoirs near the surface did not obey property lines....so it encouraged speculators to drill as FAST as they could.

Sooner had a double meaning: 1) Get to OK fast; 2) Drill the oil faster

The influx of eager capitalists who could afford to 'surface' drill created the boom towns.

The larger, deeper reservoirs (that still exist today) were spoken for by large oil/gas comglomerates (after a couple decades of consolidation and legislation) -- they had no serious competition because they had exclusive long-term rights -- and the little guy could never afford to build drills big enough to compete for the same reservoir.

I'm curious - did the Texas boom happen about the same time? It seems to me that OK had a higher concentration of available land for the newcomer....the land in Texas was already spoken for due to its longer deed history. I'm guessing the hype to go to Texas was less -- but the oil was more plentiful for the few lucky ranchers who happened to have land over oil reservoirs (drilling technology vastly improved after the Civil War - and has made momentous leaps corresponding with every war since then before leveling off in what - the 80's?)

And now back to our regularly scheduled game spam <_<

....Indeed, most of these systems are sovereign territories that belong to the Boo or our Protectorates.  This means that if you have a claim it better be a very compelling one......

I'm not up on my legalese but when you say "...territories that belong to the Boo..." well, that sounds like a claim to me.

The sovereignty issue may have been a bit over sung. Actually only about 1/2 of the listed systems are sovereign: Pandonia, Anfous, Darwin, Beor, Agneti, Clergea, Ave are sovereign territories of the Boo or its Protectorates. They are sovereign by virtue of being either home systems or within two jumps from home systems. Thus, it is cyrstal clear that Macro Hard has not made a colorable claim since these systems are compiled from the efforts of three separate races spread across the Galaxy.

Hense we shall proceed under the assumption that the following systems are neutral: Futash, Lump, Biggles, Hornby, Aldas, Cincardi, Haralambos, and Duchek. We do not claim them, but merely intend to explore and map them.

We hope this clears up any confusion.

In Peace,

The Boo Consulate

Sir Boo....Possible Prime Minister of the GSL...

In what capacity do you claim 2 systems out? Has this distance been agreed to by the intergalactic community? What happens if 2 systems out is within 2 of another player (as is the case between me and my contact with the GSL player).

I would have to disagree with your 2 systems distance claim to sovereignty. Listed are examples which if you could clear up as the spokesperson of the GSL..

Option 1:

Player A --- S1 ---S2 ---S3 --- Player B

(who owns System S2 in your claim)

Option 2:

Player A ---- Warp Nexus --- Warp Nexus ---- Warp Nexus - Rich World --- Nexus --Player B

While Rich world is within the 2 system claim you are exerting is it possible Player A might have a claim to it due to its contents?

It all depends on the people involved. I would be more inclined to cede claim to a system that already has a colony from another Empire. Now, if you claim space just to claim it, then that's a different story. The Boo had better be able to back up their "2 system claims" with some firepower......

Sakarissa :oops:

It all depends on the people involved. I would be more inclined to cede claim to a system that already has a colony from another Empire. Now, if you claim space just to claim it, then that's a different story. The Boo had better be able to back up their "2 system claims" with some firepower......

Sakarissa :oops:

We are.

In Peace,

the Boo Consulate

In what capacity do you claim 2 systems out? Has this distance been agreed to by the intergalactic community? What happens if 2 systems out is within 2 of another player (as is the case between me and my contact with the GSL player).

I would have to disagree with your 2 systems distance claim to sovereignty. Listed are examples which if you could clear up as the spokesperson of the GSL..

Option 1:

Player A --- S1 ---S2 ---S3 --- Player B

(who owns System S2 in your claim)

Option 2:

Player A ---- Warp Nexus --- Warp Nexus ---- Warp Nexus - Rich World --- Nexus --Player B

While Rich world is within the 2 system claim you are exerting is it possible Player A might have a claim to it due to its contents?

No one else lives in the systems claimed by the Boo. These systems are dedicated to the economic well being of future Boo hatchlings. They allow for our future colonial expansion. Our claims are exceedingly modest considering the vastness of the Galaxy. Enough sentients of good will recognize our claims that we are confident in our righteousness in so claiming them.

Your hypothetical is very abstract; our sovereign claims are neither new nor are they speculative. As stated previously regarding the Dioclesian Incident, we have withdrawn from that debate having expended far too much song-breath already.

In Peace,

The Boo Consulate

Not sure where the abstact comes from...let me rephrase:

Eyre Home World - System 1..System 2..system 3..GSL Player Home World. Not very abstract or hypothetical.

Who has claim on System 2?

Your hypothetical is very abstract; our sovereign claims are neither new nor are they speculative. As stated previously regarding the Dioclesian Incident, we have withdrawn from that debate having expended far too much song-breath already.

In Peace,

The Boo Consulate

Not sure where the abstact comes from...let me rephrase:

Eyre Home World - System 1..System 2..system 3..GSL Player Home World. Not very abstract or hypothetical.

Who has claim on System 2?

In Peace,

The Boo Consulate

We emphatically reject your attempts to couple our government's policies and opinions with that of any other astropolitical entity. The Boo sing only for themselves.

Regarding your specific border situation the Boo has no policy. Obviously it is a situation where the general rules would not aply. We hope you and your neighbor can work this matter out diplomatically. It seems, by your post, that you are making progress in that direction.

Good luck.

In Peace,

Boo Consulate