Rolling Thunder Forums

Notice and Comment

The Boo Consulate

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing we do, is kill all the lawyers.

Just fyi, this statement in the play by Ole' Billy (if that is his real name) was made by a character advocating utter anarchy. Because the lawyers supported justice, freedom and upheld the law, the character(s) believed that by killing all the lawyers they could create anarchy and thus gain by the lack of a civilized government. Therefore, those advocating killing all the lawyers (despite the inherent evil in murder) are not those who advocate justice and fairness in dealing with others.

Cheers :robot:

Hi Kurassier,

I was under the impression that the term "Lawyers" in Shakespeare's time actually referred to Politicians. That "Barristers" were what Americans refer to

as Lawyers. That would fit into the concept of the characters wanting to

cause anarchy.

Personally I would like to see a system similar to that proposed in

"American Ceaser" where on every April 1st it is legal to kill any politician or

lawyer till midnight. It might thin the herd a bit of those eager to feed at

the public trough.

Good Cheer,

Rick

Personally I would like to see a system similar to that proposed in

"American Ceaser" where on every April 1st it is legal to kill any politician or

lawyer till midnight. It might thin the herd a bit of those eager to feed at

the public trough.

Unquote

Sakarissa stands before a crowd of heavily armed Skaarl equiped for Safari. "Alright boys, lock and load and no bag limit!!" Roaring cheers as the hunters head out. An advisor speaks up to Sakarissa, "Uhm, sir, you do realize that it isn't April 1st." Sakarissa looks over, "Of course I do. I'm doing the collective worlds a favor by removing their politicians and lawyers. I'm making the galaxy a better place for everyone. As such, why should I limit the fun to just one day?" The advisor nods in agreement. :lol:

Sakarissa :robot:

Actually Azuth you are wrong, my Law is paramount and the only one who truly matters. After all, we have a monopoly on alcohol in the universe. :drunk:

And, I'm not sure I should admit this after reading the prior posts, but... , I am a lawyer (in RL) and was formerly a lawyer for a government body and wrote several laws for approval, oh yea used to be a judge as well. :robot:

(and I know tons of lawyer jokes!! :python: )

MMB

Good question. I am not certain. I know that most of the Civil Codes in Latin America are similar to Louisiana's. They also happen to be similar to Napoleon's Code. I know that the Law Louisiana inherited were the laws in force in Spanish colonies prior to 1803. If the replacement of the Bourbon Kings caused a substantial change in the law of Spain is unknown. My educated guess is that the public law changes, but the private law remained more or less the same.

My knowlege of Spanish Law specifically is scetchy after the Louisiana Purchase.

Just generally, at common law in Bill's time "Lawyer" would have refered to any one educated in the law. In Elizibethan England the English actually had several competeing legal systems all operating at once. It isn't until well after the Stuart Restoration that what we in America would recognize as the Common Law appeared. Lawyers would have included those allowed to approach HRH's Magistrates and stand at the bar to address the Royal Court, i.e. Barristors. There were also solicitors who tended to deal more with private law issues--contracts and such. The Courts of the Chancellery, the Ecclessiastical Courts, and the Courts of Admirality all had their own "legal" systems, much of which was roman in origin.

Brittain was not a democracy yet so they didn't have politicians like we understand them. The closest equivalent would have been "Magistrate" or "Courtier." At least that is my understanding. I am NO EXPERT on the etymology of "Politician":-)

Our position is that your government has made the claim.  We regard these systems as open to free access unless you can somehow demonstrate why they shouldn't be.  Indeed, most of these systems are sovereign territories that belong to the Boo or our Protectorates.  This means that if you have a claim it better be a very compelling one.

How you prove up your adverse claim is up to you.  Without evidence, however, we must presume your claims to be a hoax.  Nevertheless, this diplomatic discourse has been a pleasure.  Do post again.

In Peace

The Boo Consulate

Well well, I need strong evidence, to claim a world, as you say.

Exactly what evidence are you presenting?

Mr. Bates,

The Boo are not making a claim. We are simply letting our neigbors know the systems we intend to explore so we can work out any problems before they arise. This is a curtesy we offer the Galaxy in a spirit of friendship and goodwill. Since we do not seek to restrict neutral space we have no need to make a cliam, and thus no need of any evidence.

In Peace,

Boo Consulate

....Indeed, most of these systems are sovereign territories that belong to the Boo or our Protectorates. This means that if you have a claim it better be a very compelling one......

I'm not up on my legalese but when you say "...territories that belong to the Boo..." well, that sounds like a claim to me.