Rolling Thunder Forums

Big ship kills little ship but.........

Landmine

OK, I realize combat basically comes down to Big Ship almost always kills little ship assuming all things being equal in regards to armor and firepower, but how does a big lumbering ship even catch my superfast small ship?

I am really questioning how the enemy 1 gigaton ship with 2 AP and no fighters can even get close enough to my 20,000 Ton 30 AP destroyer to kill it? Why doesn't the game have Rules of Engagement like RUN AWAY when overmatched? Did not most lowly frigates and schooners on the high seas run away from Ships of the Line when threatned? Didn't only bad luck or superior enemy numbrs ever really force and engagement between a fast foe and a slower foe?

Hard to outrun weapon fire , especially if the weapon is especially lethal . Also , a ship might not realize when it is far away that it is overmatched , but by the time it would realize that , it is also too late . Different weapons have different ranges , but a 20,000 ton ship is simply put a very fragile ship , so even with that kind of an AP , all it takes is one hit .

I don't worry about the 30 AP ship, but what about the 999 AP ship? Feel free to add it to the list of interesting things our captains do. My favorite is blindly firing at small nuisance ships while a single big bruiser pounds you into so many pieces. My next favorite is when my fleet that is 1/3 the size of the enemy dies a glorious death while inflicting no real damage. There is no such thing as a war of attrition unless the sides are just about even.

sigh....