Rolling Thunder Forums

Attrition

Locklyn

If you have a 1% Attrition rate over your Growth rate, you'll lose 104 Pop per turn. Since you only have 100 to lose, you'll lose four Installations. Right now the program doesn't care that 97% of them are Iron Mines. It only knows that you have 6 different types of Installations, which means that you have a 16.7% chance (4 times) to have the Fission Power Plant vanish - losing the 500k CMs, all of your Colony's power and the one Pop.

AND...

Regardless, you still lose 4 Installations. I'd be a lot happier knowing that I'd probably lose an Iron Mine instead of my Fission Power Plant Complex with each roll of the die.

Its kinda obvious to me what to do then. Have extra population around to absorb the attrition until you replenish your population. If you have a rough idea how many pops you'll lose on average per turn then just DISM enough installations that you can do without. Its not the greatest thing to have population just sitting around waiting to die, but its better than having them all working just to have all your Fission Power Plants. for example, disappear together with the Construction Material...Ouch!. :D

Just a though.

Its kinda obvious to me what to do then. Have extra population around to absorb the attrition until you replenish your population. If you have a rough idea how many pops you'll lose on average per turn then just DISM enough installations that you can do without. Its not the greatest thing to have population just sitting around waiting to die, but its better than having them all working just to have all your Fission Power Plants. for example, disappear together with the Construction Material...Ouch!. :cheers:

You speak wisely Azuth, but the first turn is the hardest for colonial planning. You don't have a specific value, like 1%, you have a descriptor, such as Low or Very High. Additionally, your CSV might indicate that a large part of the attrition comes from the Ocean being the wrong type (Water instead of Semi-liquid Hydrogen), which a Fluid Processing Plant can mitigate to some degree. You could land with 100 Colonists, build 75 installations and see what happens. If you only have 1% Attrition, you had 24 Colonists sit "idle". :drunk: But at least you now know what your attrition rate is. :D

• 2 weeks later...

When I colonize a new planet with appreciable attrition I generally wait to build out the industries until after I see what the butchers bill is. After the first turn I then build out everything that I want with a pretty good idea of what losses I will suffer.

I also have a colony that the attrition has never reduced ecough to make me happy so I have just converted all of the pop to colonists awaiting transfer off. That way they don't keep dying before I can get to them.