Rolling Thunder Forums

Can I LC troops, or must I EAF?

Paradigm

I thought I saw something about this posted here somewhere before, but I can't find it. If I have divisions in stockpile (not in an army), can I just LC those divisions on to a troop transport, or do I have to jump through the EAF hoops (create army, assign divisions to army, then EAF army on to transports)?

Thanks

EAF costs 1 AP so if you have muliple armies combine them (free) and the EAF.

An important point since LC costs 0 AP. EAF should be changed to also be 0 AP. Normally that AP cost probably won't matter much, but since the army doesn't maintain it's structure when embarked, there is no reason for EAF to cost an AP and LC not.

And you probably already figured out that the DAF referred to in the rules doesnt quite exist

just yet. No matter as you really cant transport a group of divisions that you have formed on your colony or homeworld. You can EAF the army assuming you have enough Troop carrying cap but it automatically disbands the army once on board your fleet and must be formed again when they get to thier final destination. ie your 1st Homeguard with 5 divisions in it is given EAF orders to load onto the 500th Ground Assault Squadron. The order goes though and presto the 1st homeguard is longer listed but your 5 divisions are listed as cargo on your 500th Ground Assault Squadron. Once you get to the destination you OC the divisions to a pop group reform the divisions into an army and presto your ground force is ready to be given orders. I'd like to see the armies maintain thier names once formed eliminating the hassle of reforming them once you get them to where you want to use them.

Yes, it really should be fixed. I wouldn't say it's a high priority as there are other areas that are more important, but it shouldn't be put off indefinitely either.

A little more feedback on RTG on the projected schedule of game fixes and enhancements would be nice. It would not have to be elaborate or binding. Just a simple page of HTML listing known problems and upcoming enhancements and a rough prioritization and a projected completion schedule.

Can you take divisions and put them back into a pop group once they are in an army?

No, it seems not! :cheers:

It would appear that you have to EAF them into a fleet and then OC them.

You know, I hadn't really thought of just LC'ing them, but neither has it occured yet - I've only moved existing armies.

Here's thought though - and a plea? :taz:

Can we have the 'empty' armies listed on the report like empty fleets are? At present it's not too difficult to keep track of, but once they start being being spread all over the place it will be.

Chief Planner to Ur-Lord Tedric

Another point, if you are planning on being able to maintain the Army structure after the EAF order while on a fleet then DAF (sometime in the future) then you would need to change the rules concerning the EAF order only loading as many units as possible to actually failing if there is not enough room for the whole army.

It would seem that if the LC order doesn't cost an action point then there should be an order to unassign divisions from armies back to the pop group cargo considering the EAF order does cost an action point.

But, if you have divisions in a pop group and not in armies and are attacked do they automatically form armies for you or do they just remain "Cargo" and not fight?

But, if you have divisions in a pop group and not in armies and are attacked do they automatically form armies for you or do they just remain "Cargo" and not fight?

IIRC Pete stated on the old board that division in "stockpile" do fight if the pop group (world?) is attacked, but at reduced effect. Try searching the old board.

It would be nice if this was stated in the official rulebook somewhere.