Rolling Thunder Forums

Quick Question on Warp Points

Hughestrog

Hi, just joined and looking forward. Not sure to what but we'll see what's out there.

Quick question about warp points: Do you start with all warp points in your system surveyed?

If not then a second question: how long would it take to survey a class D warp point. I have an explorer and some pathfinders, and going on the manual I've a feeling it may take a while.

Thanks in advance,

Hughestrog.

You start with all Warp Points in your Home System pre-surveyed. You also get a significant bonus on Surveying any Warp Points that lead into your Home System. Your scientists have been staring at these stars and stellar phenomena for a long time. :unsure:

Short answer: You don't need to do any surveys to travel out of your Home System.

It only takes one successful survey order to survey a Class D Warp Point. However, failed attempts do not increase subsequent survey attempts. You need Jump Survey Sensors for the Survey. A Mk III JSS will penetrate a Class D with ease. Mk IIs will require a greater quantity or the assistance of either an Explorer character, a Scientist character or both.

There is a PDF on the RTG website that goes into greater detail about the ins-and-outs of Stellar Cartography. :drunk:

-SK :cheers:

Welcome!

Your Pathfinders will be able to break the Warp points (WP) leading into and out of your home system automatically - thanks to years of your scientists sitting there observing them. But after that it gets much tougher.

Outside of your home system your Pathfinders will be restricted to WP classes A & B. Soon you will develop the Jump Survey Sensor(JSS) II which will breaks C's easily.

Suggest that you prioritise JSS II with your research groups in slot 1 and use a remaining life point bonus on getting this tech, if exploration is important to you.

Before approaching a D WP you will need at least a JSS II carrying a good scout

and scientist. Better still use a JSS III or IV!

See the Warp Point Survey supplement for more ideas...

Warp Point Survey Supplement

Hope this makes sense, if not please ask away - we are all pretty happy to help new players out.

Thanks,

KOTEC

:beer: The best WP Scout would have (5) Mk IV JSS's with both a Explorer and Scientist character assigned to the fleet. You could sail anywhere with this config!

Just curious - why 5 and not 4??? :blink: Or even 3, or 2 or 1 would be enough with a Legendary Ranger......plus that Scientist

Chief Scientist to Ur-Lord Tedric

:beer: Way back 'when' talking with another grop of folks, sharing data and details it became clear that although 4 would be enough to eac h the next higher level, that 5 adds a little bit more '%'...so I have always created my ships with 5 of whatever level JSS level I was building. Now since I have tons of Explorers and Scientists too...they make and add a better bonus to cracking those higher WPs too.

:blink:

They don't stack. Only the highest rated character on the fleet is used. If that is an explorer then he is used. If the scientist has a greater chance then he is used.

If I am wrong then I would love to know when this changed.

They don't stack. Only the highest rated character on the fleet is used. If that is an explorer then he is used. If the scientist has a greater chance then he is used.

If I am wrong then I would love to know when this changed.

In the words of Sydney Greenstreet in Casablanca... I do not know why I tell you this, since it will not profit me, but...

The highest rated explorer and the highest rated scientist aboard a fleet BOTH contribute to SURV success.

They do not stack directly; rather, the secondary character modifies the already modified chance of success. The scientist assists half as much as an explorer of the same level.

Hope this helps. :beer:

Tom