Rolling Thunder Forums

Startup Resources

Prospective

All,

Well, I guess my name of Prospective is inaccurate, as I've sent in my setup :thumbsup: .

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting it in the next couple days. However, I've made commitments this weekend that will prevent me from even looking at them till late on Sunday (IF then).

So, can you help me out a bit. Can you give me an idea of what my starting resources, population, # of pop centers, industries and mines will be? This way, when I'm at work tomorrow, I can look at the answers you provide and actually begin a bit of planning.

Thanks again.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its seems the starting resources are random to an extent. Most will see the main resources

in abundance or at least they will have a workable yield. The big ones like iron, lumber, crystals,

will most likely be your best resources. you will have many others but will have to use raw resources to convert the other important one you will need like petro chemicals ,gasous elements

and industrial chemicals.

hopefully you get real lucky and get a massive system with many orbits and plenty of moons and

asteroid belts. Then again you could just get your HW as your only orbit in the system.

All,

Well, I guess my name of Prospective is inaccurate, as I've sent in my setup  .

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting it in the next couple days. However, I've made commitments this weekend that will prevent me from even looking at them till late on Sunday (IF then).

So, can you help me out a bit. Can you give me an idea of what my starting resources, population, # of pop centers, industries and mines will be? This way, when I'm at work tomorrow, I can look at the answers you provide and actually begin a bit of planning.

Thanks again.

This is fresh enough in my past that I can shed some light on this question. Start up resources on your HW along with the number of planets and resources on those planets appear random although startup racial characteristics may have an effect. If there is an effect however it is unverified.

You will get 1 pop center, 100 shipyards, 10 fission power plants, 450000 ICs and 85000 stripmines. You also get a stockpile of 2.5 M Con Mats. The best thing you can do to help yourself get started is to get or create a production spreadsheet. You also get 11 pathfinders assigned to fleets, and 5 more in your shipyard plus you get 1 500k T Planetary Defense Fortress. You also get 25 RCs which will be assigned to several techs. Mine were assigned to horizon techs and I assume that everyone starts out with that configuration. I had two characters at the setup, one was my emporer and the other waqs based on my Imperial Tradition

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

hehe my start up rocked...

but essentially it was the same thing for me... (the last turn was my first)

except i got lucky as hell. you get 2 charcters based on your governement (one is an emporer not sure if he's always a diplomat but in my case he was).

(technocratic empire for example will give you a diplomat and a scientist)

in my case i discovered 3 special characters on my first turn in additon. thats right an additional researcher an explorer and an acolyte. *feels loved*

you get a home guard too...

you can e-mail me on umich.edu @ athonian and i can help you out a little more...

Just a suggestion athonian:

You might want to edit that post and take your email address off of there. Spammers will find it.

If you want to give out an address you can do something like this: My address is batkins23 which is hosted at yahoo followed by dot com.

Humans can put this together, but hopefully the spambots and spiders will pass over it.

Can you give me an idea of what my starting resources, population, # of pop centers, industries and mines will be?

As I learned in business school, the answer is always, "It depends".

As previously answered, a wide variety of resource allocations are possible and there is never enough. I've gotten to the point of asking where the iron is...anywhere! Except on prohibitively obnoxious colonization worlds, of course.

You will get adequate ICs to start, barely enough Strip miners (you will be amazed how fast you run through raw material stockpiles!) and maybe enough power sources to start. Building a little extra power is okay in my book because running out is not a good scene.

Enjoy! I may not be able to look at my turn results until 4 days before the next due date! Business travel can suck and security on the corporate laptops is very nasty (limited downloads outside of corporate sources and NO software installs allowed, like turn entry programs). And before you say, carry a personal laptop with you, let me say this. Having carried a colleagues laptop for her back to the home office for repairs, TSA looks at you really funny for having two laptops.... (Some of them look funny no matter what, but that goes without saying.)

Octus

Having carried a colleagues laptop for her back to the home office for repairs, TSA looks at you really funny for having two laptops.... (Some of them look funny no matter what, but that goes without saying.)

Unquote

So that was you?!?!? Next time I will roll up my hard copy of my turn and smack you upside the head with it. Two laptops indeed! And I don't look funny either!

Sakarissa :D

On the power-tip, make sure you look at your hydro- and geo- electric potentials. It may well be that you're more efficient dismantling your fission piles and using those conmats to build environmentally-friendly power sources to meet your needs.

hmm hydroelectric and geo-electric potential? didn't think of that.... how do we check that?

It will list hydro and geothermal resources along with your other mineable resources. However, I believe the formula for extracting power is different from the normal resource mining formula although I cannot remember what it is. (I have no hydro or geothermal resources :( .)

i have more iron than anything else... *rubs it in*

It wont be enough by a long shot. :P In fact you probably will not have enough Pop, Crystals or Lumber either.

There is a formula for hydro/geothermal power output which I can't recall exactly right now. But the breakeven point in relation to fission is 200, so more potential than that and you should convert over. Otherwise ignore it and stick with the nuke reactors on your homeworld.

Colonies are another matter depending how many mines you want to power up.